QuiGonJohn

RV Stove Cooktop

I have a typical 3 burner propane stove in my RV. What I would like to do is find a piece of metal that could cover the entire surface and when I cook there, I could heat the whole surface, using the 3 burners, and use the whole surface for cooking. Much as the cooking surface in many restaurant kitchens. I've just gotten back from looking for something like this in the stores. No luck. They have one that will cover 2 burners. And I even thought of using some kind of baking pan, but can't find anything the right size. Ideally it would be 19" x 17".

Does anyone have an idea where I could get something like this? Even the right type of metal, cut to that size would work. A small lip on the edges would be nice to keep things clean easier, but isn't absolutely necessary.

That's possible. Still would like something larger, I'll have to make a template and see how that would lay on the stove. From the review it sounds pretty heavy, might be cast iron vs. cast aluminum.

Go to a place like Metal Mart. Ask for a piece 1/4" brass or aluminum. Both will distribute the heat very well. However leave space so you can see the flame and can have good air circulation.

Herman

I bought my grill at Sams Wholesale Club two years ago, I was in the store today, and they have the same one at that store. It is Sizzle-Q brand, all stainless steel, measures 17.75 X 13. Took the picture on top of my 3 burner stove to show what it looks like. If you cant locate it or whatever you like best, pm me, I will be glad to help locate.

Kay

post-32146-0-65457700-1402802698_thumb.j

Let me clarify my last post. The Aluminum or Brass plate I mentioned were just for dissipating the heat for more even heat for cooking in the proper utensils and not to cook directly on.

Herman

Well I am definitely looking for a piece of metal that can be the cook surface. For eggs, pancakes, hash browns, maybe even steaks, etc. Like at a Japanese Steakhouse, how they cook on the flat surface right in front of you. I also want it to be thin enough that I can leave it on top of the stove, with the wood board I bought at Camping World on it, when the stove is not in use. Most of the links here seem too thick or heavy, except maybe the aluminum griddle, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Non-Stick-Aluminum-Griddle-Coated-15-X-19-/231036099919?pt=BI_Grills_Griddles_Broilers&hash=item35cad31d4f.%C2'>

Otherwise, I will have to try the Metal Mart idea.

QuiGonJohn,

What I described in going to metal mart was for a surface to distribute heat and not for cooking on. A surface to cook on needs to have an edge around it to keep grease and so forth from running over and down into your stove. What you want needs to be a cast iron griddle that can cover two burners and give you a flat surface to cook on. What commercial kitchens and dinners have is referred to as a "Flat Top".

Herman

We use a Coleman griddle. It does not cover all three quite right, but two are good. It needs to be somewhat heavy, to evenly distribute the heat. Otherwise, it is really hot where the burners are underneath, and quite a bit cooler between them. The heavier the more even the top is heated.

I use a Weber cast iron "Q" grill griddle, fits great I do not recall the price but I do not remember it being expensive.

We use a Coleman griddle. It does not cover all three quite right, but two are good. It needs to be somewhat heavy, to evenly distribute the heat. Otherwise, it is really hot where the burners are underneath, and quite a bit cooler between them. The heavier the more even the top is heated.

We also use the Coleman griddle that is designed for a two burner camp cooker. I guess another option for this person might be looking into changing the cookbook from 3 to 4 burners, then he could use two of these Coleman tops side by side.