macewan

Banks and Workhorse 8.1 engine

From all that I have read in other forums, and what I have found out asking questions and listening to Banks distributors at RV Rallies ...

The extra horsepower is great if you're towing or have lots of hills to climb, but the 8.1-liter engine has enough power for most people unless you're racing up a hill.

None of the Banks representatives would guarantee greater fuel mileage, which is the only way the system could ever pay for itself.

IMHO, the Banks system is overly expensive for what is offers. It's not for me. I am considering the Ultra Power System, which

costs much less.

Guest 2driftrs

Look at the posts under Technical - Engines. Lots of good comments in there to help you make your decision. We have the Banks on an F53 Ford with the V-10.

With each successive generation of engines (both Ford and GM), the manufacturers have done a better job of maximizing air flow through the engine.

So the newer the generation of engine, the less there is to gain by after-market devices. You have to determine how much you are willing to pay for how much increase in performance.

As DoggyDaddy said the 8.1 (496 CID) has enough power for most. And very, very few report increases in MPG.

Brett Wolfe

Would it be worth adding or not? MacEwan

Mac, on our last coach I contacted Banks about our 300 HP Cummins. I was told that they could increase it up to 60 HP and 120 lbs torque. And that I should see maybe .8 to 1.0 mpg increase. Only $2,300.00. Wow, more power, more torque, and better milage, who could ask for anything more. Then I took out the old adding machine (did Isay I was old?) to see how many miles we would have to drive to pay for these increases. This will astound you. I think you will be happy with your 8.1 as it is. Good Luck.

We have a Banks on our 2007 Winnie Adventurer. If you are looking for a Banks system to increase fuel mileage to a level that the fuel savings will pay for the system, then I think you will be disappointed. We had the system installed because we wanted more power, and in that we have not been disappointed. We have seen a modest (about a 1-1.5 mpg) increase in mileage.

I stumbled on this topic about a year after the last post. We have a 2004 Winnebaggo Brave with the same 8.1 workhorse enginge. Adding the Banks system 9 months ago has made a real difference in towing power and hill climbing as we often go over the Cascade Mountain Passes. In that alone I am very pleased with the improvement. And it has increased milege about 2mpg. Yes, I am pleased I did it.