Sign in to follow this  
florist8146

Newmar Comfort Drive Question

Looking at my first Newmar purchase.

When speaking to salesman (who does not carry Newmar) he said the following:

* if it breaks you loose all steering

* if unit is out of alignment the comfort drive will auto correct and you will not know it and your tires will wear out quickly

*the unit has a brain circuit board and it can break

* we have had a number of people trade their units in because of this issue

I realize he wants to sell me his product but it did make me stop and think about it.

Since I am not the mechanical/ technical type I thought I could get some help here.

Your thoughts and comment will be appreciated.

There have been MANY Newmars sold with Comfort Steer, from Dutch Star all the way through to Kingaire. I do not remember ever reading of a problem with the Comfort Steer system. I am a member and read 4 different RV Forums plus all the favorite magazines. I think the salesman just wants to sell you and as such is "blowing smoke" you know where.

It is getting to the point that many over the road trucks are using it. It is an electronic servo motor between the steering shaft and gearbox that aids to keep steering straight, aids in returning steering and adjust for road condition. I remember a Volvo commercial where two Volvo rigs with trailer backing up at 50 mph side by side. An acrobat balanced himself on two mirror one on each truck and the shows at least a mile. The drivers did not have their hands on the steering and the trucks stayed within a few feet within each other and the acrobat didn't lose his balance.

I say drive both coaches and I bet you will get the one that is easier to drive. I wish I have this system on my coach. BTW my Cadillac SRX4 is electric power assist with no hydraulic pump on the engine. In the future we will be driving cars hands free with radar keeping us in or lane, automatic braking in a emergency and automatic speed control to adjust for traffic.

Florist, I don't know specifically about your questions but will tell you while at the Super RV Show in Tampa January 2014, I heard a sales person say the same thing about the comfort drive of a Newmar that it covers up the alignment issues to the driver. And we were standing in a Newmar with several people around! Hopefully, some Newmar owners will respond to give you some valid input.

Thanks for the replies. I also posted on another site and received numerous positive replies.As suspected, it was just a salesperson trying to sell their product without any regard for the truth.

Salesmen can say anything. They tend to be more quiet when it comes to providing facts to back up those claims. I would definitely stay away from that salesman!