GwenBowman

Height Of Tow Receiver For 2014 Winnebago Journey 42E

We are taking delivery of a 2014 Winnebago Journey42E in a few weeks. I am wondering if anyone knows the height of the receiver off the ground when the coach is running and the air suspension is fully inflated.

We will be towing a 2013 Jeep Wrangler with a blue ox baseplate that is 17 inches off the ground.

The dealer has told me that when not running, the receiver is at 13 inches off the ground. I'm trying to be prepared with the correct drop receiver before we get to the pick up destination.

I would like the tow bar to be level or slightly higher that the jeep.

This is my first diesel pusher so I'm not sure how many inches the coach rises when in drive mode.

Any suggestions?

Have you called Winnebago customer service? I don't recall seeing a diesel pusher with a drop receiver. My Freightliner chassis does not require a drop receiver to pull either my 2005 Wrangler or 2014 Wrangler. The tow bar is almost perfectly level.

Mark Penlerick, Engineering Team Leader, at Blue Ox Towing Products, published an article some years back on the subject of height differences between motorhome receiver hitches and baseplates on towed vehicles. In that article he wrote:

“Blue Ox's recommendation is that the receiver hitch of the motorhome should never be more than 4 inches higher than the baseplate attachment points. Four inches or less keeps the tow bar level with the ground or slightly angled up towards the coach from the car. The tow bar should never be angled "up"
towards the car from the coach.”

Drop receivers are available from most hitch suppliers as well as Camping World.

My 2013 Journey required a 4 inch step up to have a level tow bar connection to my 2005 Honda Pilot. I could not believe how low the hitch was on the Freightliner chassis compared to my 2001 Winnebago.

We are fulltime in a 2012 Winnebago Journey 42E. We don't often hear of others with the same. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have. We had quite the learning curve, having moved up from a 28' fifth wheel in order to go full-time. We had our tow package installed - and didn't have to worry about it. Wouldn't have trusted our own skills on such an important matter - towing our 2012 Cadillac SRX. We don't have blue ox, but purchased road master, including the braking system. Very happy with it, but it's all we know. Hope to hear from you as you get familiar with your 42E.

We are taking delivery of a 2014 Winnebago Journey42E in a few weeks. I am wondering if anyone knows the height of the receiver off the ground when the coach is running and the air suspension is fully inflated.

We will be towing a 2013 Jeep Wrangler with a blue ox baseplate that is 17 inches off the ground.

The dealer has told me that when not running, the receiver is at 13 inches off the ground. I'm trying to be prepared with the correct drop receiver before we get to the pick up destination.

I would like the tow bar to be level or slightly higher that the jeep.

This is my first diesel pusher so I'm not sure how many inches the coach rises when in drive mode.

Any suggestions?

We towed a 4 door Wrangler for three years behing our Itasca Horizon (similar to the Journey). We do not need a drop receiver To be really sure have the tdealer fire up the coach and allow the air suspension to fill then go back and measure while the coach is on a flat solid surface. That will give you the answer.