Sign in to follow this  
jbenetti

Front Passenger Area Banging

I have a 2004 Winnebago sightseer with 7600 miles. Recently had in shop for new control board on leveling system. I now have a loud banging noise coming from front passenger side. It only happens when going over a bump.

I checked front compartments for anything flying around - nothing. I called the shop and they had the RV on a lift to check the front jacks. I took to get front tires replaced as scheduled and asked them to look for anything that doesn't look right. They said the king pin was dry and greased it. Noise is still there.

I am not a mechanic so need some thoughts on where to look. thanks for any advice you can lend.

Joe

I had similar issue with my Safari Zanzibar. It's suspension travel was incorrect due to ride height being off. Since you do not have a torsalatic suspension it could be a dead shock. If that is the case I would recommend checking to see if it is leaking fluid, oil film on lower part of casing, a good indicator of at least a weak shock. Replace all with hydraulic Konis. Good luck B

That happened on my 2004 Sightseer with a Workhorse W20 chassis. In my case it was the elastomeric spring cup ( I think they called it an auxiliary spring) that was hitting the axle as it was designed to do. It is a large yellow elastomeric cup on the frame above the axle where the springs are mounted.

Mine came with the Monroe shocks - later in 2004 or maybe early in 2005 - they switched to Bilstein shocks and that problem went away.

I put Koni FDS shocks on mine and that also stopped the auxiliary spring cup from hitting the axle but I sure don't recommend the ride with the Koni’s. Very rough compared to the Monroes.

My Sightseer chassis was a 2003 year and was built before Sep 2003 and had the 2 inch anti -sway bar in the front. After Sep they switched to a 2.5 inch bar and I upgraded mine to 2.5 inches. It was an easy DIY job.

From an email from Workhorse.

"The upgraded stabilizer bar has been shown to provide the following
benefits:
1. Reduced Body Roll when cornering.
2. Reduced "rocking" when passed by or passing large vehicles.
3. Reduced "rocking" when traversing bumps on an angle."

If you have a Ford chassis none of this applies of course.

With respect to the Koni shocks...They are hydraulic and adjustable,. If set full tight they will give a rough ride if set on the other end of the dampening spectrum the will give a very nice ride. The Bilstein shocks are gas and have only one setting. Many of us with them on Safari coaches have switched in favor of the Koni. B

Actually, Koni has TWO types of shocks.

The FSD's are not adjustable-- they adjust dampening based on frequency of motion.

They do still have adjustable shocks (the red-brown ones) and they have a reasonably wide range of dampening adjustment on extension.

I had similar issue with my Safari Zanzibar. It's suspension travel was incorrect due to ride height being off. Since you do not have a torsalatic suspension it could be a dead shock. If that is the case I would recommend checking to see if it is leaking fluid, oil film on lower part of casing, a good indicator of at least a weak shock. Replace all with hydraulic Konis. Good luck B

I checked the shocks (Bilstein) and don't see any problems. I did find that the front rubber helper spring were dry rotted and just crumbled when i tried moving them. I ordered new SumoSprings for the front so these show take care a lot of the swaying. Not sure if it will cure the banging. sounds like something is hitting the storage areas. I can't find any bad bushings and metal rubbing medal. I did notice that the older rubber helper strings were about 5 inches over axles which was pretty high.

jbenitti,

Welcome to the forum. Do you have a power step cover? If so you may have the air cylinder rattling. Mine did until I got it raised up.

Herman

i have Kwikee 2-step power unit. Could you explain move or show a pic. I looked under there to see if anything was loose or rubbing.

jbenetti, I was speaking of your step cover not your steps that come out when you open the door. It is the cover that slides out from under the floor to cover your step well.

Herman