Sign in to follow this  
michaelhillhouse

AC Power When Dry Camping

We just purchased a 2003 Dutch Star and my question is how to access the 120 volt system when there aren't any controls or panels to switch the unit over? This isn't any converter that I'm used to seeing. such as the heart Interface, attached .

There are 2 converters ( or inverters) on the unit that are marked with the number 45 on them but was told they only convert the voltage to 12 volts from 120 volts?

I know this sounds dumb but I'm trying to understand the unit and learn how to use it so we can watch TV or use the 120 volt appliances when we are dry camping without running the Generator.

Michael

Without an inverter, you will not have 120 VAC without shore power or generator.

Best suggestion is to read the label (brand and model) of the two converter/inverters you saw.

From that we may be able to tell you how it is wired-- if indeed you have an inverter.

I don't want to confuse the issue or insult your intelligence, but a converter changes AC to 12v and an inverter changes 12v to AC. You should have either a converter/inverter, a stand alone converter and stand alone inverter, or an inverter/charger. Newer models usually have the latter. Have you tried calling Newmar?

The exact reason I was asking is because I don't know what I have and I have a tendency to get confused when thinking about the differences with the inverters and converters on the coaches today.

The systems I have used in the past was the Heart Interface at either 1000 and 2000 watts respectfully( and this system is different).

Calling Newmar is the next step but I thought maybe somebody here had a system similar to mine and could help me determine what I had to do when dry camping.

Thanks Brett for the reply and as I said I am DUMB when determining the electrical systems that are found in the later model coaches but I find that asking questions I can usually learn something without having to screw something up

Michael.

Michael,

Sure, Newmar should be able to tell you what equipment you have and how to use it.

But, a "search" through the basement for make and model numbers may get you an answer today-- if that is important (i.e. you are currently dry camping)!

Brett,

Thank goodness we are at home, but I love to go to the Nascar Races where we have to dry camp for 4 or 5 days . We were thinking about going to the coast near Corpus Christi TX soon and I thought maybe somebody had a Dutch Star and had similar equipment with the System that has me confused . Tomorrow I am going out to the storage lot where the coach is parked and get the information off the equipment. Thanks for the reply I appreciate it

Michael

I called Newmar this morning and found out that the system is 2 stand alone converters and to use it Dry Camping I will have to install an Inverter to the system. I guess to save money I will use the generator to watch TV or the other electrical equip. and if we decide to Dry camp more we will have to modify the syst. Thanks for the replies and have a great day to all

Our 2000 DSDP had the two converters like yours and only a 450 watt inverter to power the TV. I had CW install a 2,500 watt inverter thinking they would know how to do it correctly. They didn't!

Michael,

deenad brought up a good thought. To operate your TV when dry camping you could purchase a small portable Inverter to run your TV. It could plug into your charger port. You would have to access the TVs power cord to unplug from the AC outlet and be able to plug it into the inverter.

Good luck and look forward to meeting you and your bride in Shreveport.

Herman

Herman says to install a small inverter to power the TV. Before you purchase one, check the wattage rating for the TV and then purchase an inverter that can provide that wattage. Sears and other auto stores sell inverters that will plug into your 12V (cigarette lighter style) outlet and power small appliances. I keep one in my car and have used it for years to power my laptop. When we went to New Zealand and Australia I used it for a 120V outlet. They have 220V electric in their homes and RV parks there.

If you decide to put a larger inverter in to power all the 120V circuits in the coach, talk to someone about your battery supply. It may be necessary or desirable to add additional batteries to provide the energy you need without running the generator frequently to recharge a small battery bank.

When choosing an inverter to run electronics, you should use a true sine wave inverter of the appropriate size. Often failure of the tv is the result of using a modified or square sine wave inverters. Non solid state devices such as heat elements and motors are not effected.

Yes, sine wave is preferred (required by some electronics).

And I like to see an inverter rated for 2X the load. That way you are running it with good efficiency rather than at its limit.