jerryclemmer

Direct TV New Wireless "Genie" Satellite Recievers

Currently we have two HD (High Definition) Direct TV satellite receivers and three regular satellite receivers that are hard wired with coaxial cables to the receivers from the satellite antenna in our home. We take the satellite receiver from our bedroom TV and use it in the RV when we are away from home.

Does anyone know if we can continue to take a receiver and use it in the RV if we convert to the new Direct TV "Genie" wireless system? We are trying to avoid extra charges as we use the RV intermittently. If we get only HD receivers with the "Genie System"; will we be able to watch two different channels on the front and rear TV in the RV. Currently both TVs are on the same channel when using the satellite for reception. Our RV has been updated with HD ready LED TVs and Winegard Trav'ler Automatic-Multi-Satellite Slimline TV antenna.

Thanks if you can answer our questions.

The Genie is only wireless if you use the host Genie receiver and their wireless C-41W clients. The clients are NOT satellite receivers so could not be used anywhere other than where the Genie is nearby. That would mean you could bring the Genie plus a wireless client into the RV (plus the wireless router connected to the Genie) but you could not bring a client only as the Genie is the only satellite receiver in the network.

I recently upgraded to the wireless Genie system at home and plan to take it on the road soon. I plan to locate the host receiver in the bedroom, with the video bridge connected to the bedroom TV output jack coming from the video control box and use a wireless client up front for the overhead TV. Can I put the power inserter in line coming into the video control box or is there a better location?

Maybe it's because it's past cocktail time but I can't get your configuration clear. The basic setup would have the incoming cable connected to the power inserter, out of the power inserter to the video bridge and the video bridge to the genie. You would connect the Genie via HDMI to the splitter and, if you want a 2nd channel in the bedroom a client there connected directly via HDMI to that TV. There are separation issues you will need to deal with (4ft between Genie, video bridge and any other wireless device) but the setup is pretty easy. There are other wiring options and other TV viewing options but that's the basics. You want the Genie connected to whatever HDMI connection that goes to your main TV in case you want to utilize the PIP options.