jmkidwill

Looking For A Stop Off Between Fort Worth and Red River NM

If you're going through Amarillo, we stayed at the Amarillo Ranch RV Park last year. Also you could stay in the Palo Duro Canyon or just go visit it.

jmkidwell,

Welcome to the Forum.

A lot depends on which way you are going. If out on 287, it will also depend on how far you plan to travel each day.

Short distance try the Cotton Gin RV park in Goodlet, TX.

A bit longer, on I-40, Amarillo RV Ranch or the Oasis in Amarillo.

A bit farther there is a small RV Park in Vega, TX. It is not fancy but alright for just a stop over. Sorry I can't remember the name. But it is right on Business I-40.

Out further some one else may have some more spots.

Have a good trip.

Herman

2nd or 3rd Oasis RV park in Amarillo. If you can spend a few days in the area, Palo Duro Canyon is 30 miles from Oasis. Take in the outside show in the park. Travel about 40 or so miles east on the interstate and visit Groom, TX. Visit the "Stations of the Cross."

Oasis is rock and gravel but nicely laid out with plenty of room. They also have a repair shop on-site. (Just in case)

As Herman say's...depends on how your getting there. 287, I-40 to Hwy. 84N via Las Vegas and back way to Red River. Or I-40 to Clines Corner and Hwy. 285N to Santa Fe, then Taos to Hwy. 38 (I think)!

Fastest is via Santa Rosa and Las Vegas. There is a nice RV park in Santa Rosa that used to be a KOA.

My opinion is that the best RV park in Red River is the Roadrunner! All the trout tanks for the restaurants is in this park on the River.

Carl C.

Have driven this route several times (Houston to Angel Fire, NM).

STRONGLY recommend against the "back way through Las Vegas, NM". That way is longer and roads are not as good.

Shortest and easiest is from Amarillo to Clayton, NM. Then 9 miles shorter to go through Springer, but narrower road/poorer surface than going through Raton.

I have no problem with Hwy. 64 to Eagle nest lake, then 38 over Bobcat pass...it's a beautiful drive!

Carl C.

10' AMC Tradition 45'

13' non stock wrangler

We have stayed over night in Amarillo at Walmart at  5730 W Amarillo Blvd on the NW side of Amarillo.  We also stayed at Sam's Club on west side at SR-335 and I-40.  Call and ask permission.   We liked Sam's club better.  Quieter and easier to get in and out. 

I stayed in Wall Mart once, 9 pm & could not find a RV park!  I don't like to drive after 4 pm, so we make sure we have a RV space!  I don't advocate staying in WM or Sam's, since we buy Toys that cost as much as a house or more, we should be able to afford the Camping fee! :blink:

Just a heads up for those reading this latter,  earlier someone talked about overnighting in Palo Duro Canyon. Yes you can but it's a long way off the main roads and the campground is in the bottom of the canyon. The road in/out is intimidating to some and probably an hour out of your way.

I like Oasis or Overnite RV Park or Big Texan RV Ranch. For those on the cheap you could look at the truck parking behind Big Texan.

Bill