Sign in to follow this  
DanaRuns

Buying a Rattletrap?

Should we pass, or is this a great bargain?

We are two women shopping for our first motorhome, and for monetary reasons are looking for an older coach. We thought we found one we liked, a 1999 National Tradewinds diesel pusher. Very clean, low miles, engine and generator run great. Just a beautiful coach, and a diesel pusher in our budget. We were about to make an offer on it, but wanted to test drive it first. The engine was really strong (it zipped onto the freeway like a sports car, and didn't slow a bit climbing hills) and the air brakes were amazing. But the problem was that the thing was a complete rattletrap! Not just little things like the stove grate and a door rattling, though it was doing that, too. There was rattling in the front end (dash and overhead compartments? frame? demons? I dunno!), so much that it sounded like I had been dropped into a can of pennies being shaken up.

Now, I understand that coaches have rattles and squeaks. But this was a LOT and was alarming. We had an experienced RVer with us, who was also alarmed by the rattling. The seller didn't seem bothered or even to notice, and blamed it on the "California roads" (which is where we would be driving it most of the time). But it seemed very excessive, to inexperienced me.

The thing I don't know is whether this is a big red flag and perhaps a sign of some serious structural problem or something, or if it's something that could be ameliorated to a substantial degree by going on a screw driver frenzy. For instance, the passenger side rear view mirror was shaking like crazy, but when I checked it out after the test drive I saw that it just needed tightening down.

Everything else about the coach seemed great, and the experienced person who inspected it found no major problems.

What do you experienced folks say about this? Should I run away or not be afraid of this?

DanaRuns,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

There is not simple answer. There is a common issue that can cause lots of rattles-- if the tires are way over-inflated for the actual load.

Worth comparing the actual tire pressure with that called for on the plaque near the drivers area (that will tell you the correct pressure if each axle is loaded to GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating). If pressures are at or slightly below that listed, that is not your root cause.

Other than that it is a matter of identifying each rattle source and determining if it is serious and/or can be cured.

It is on a fairly standard Freightliner chassis. You could have a Freightliner dealer or someone familiar with the chassis look it over for you-- money very well spent.

If the owner didn't keep the mirrors tight enough to not rattle, it would make me wonder how did on the important maintenance items. Ask for records on oil and filter changes at the minimum.

Be careful zipping on the freeway like you're in a sports car, I assure you it won't stop like one.

Depends..... I would say that if you're not afraid of getting your hands dirty and doing things yourself, then you might make out pretty well if the money side of it is okay and it seems reliable. You never know - could just be stuff that has loosened up over the years (like that mirror!). I would seriously look in all the cubbyholes in the unit and see if there is anything just loose and flopping around before I plunked down my cash...... ;)

Test drive another MH over the same roads, then compare rides. The coach you are test driving might be the same as the all the others and you are just not used to what they do and sound like.

I’ve found for the most part, rattles don’t get better. If it makes you uncomfortable to drive now, it may drive you crazy in the near future.

A fifteen year old MH will never be rattle free. But a couple of things you should look at:

Entry doors will squeak and rattle with age, not to be don.e

Windows might squeak a little but should not rattle loud enough to be an issue.

Overhead cabinets that rattle and squeak are a problem… they should be firmly attached to the MH.

I love my diesel pusher but you can get into a very nice late model gasser at a reasonable price.

Quite a few rattles are fixed with nothing more than the little felt dots from any hardware store on the cabinet doors.

Again, you really need to identify the source of the rattles-- some can be quite easy to fix, others very difficult or impossible.

I would definitely have an independent mechanic check it over. The money will be well spent to have this done. You might find the rattles are very simple fixes, but something else more serious is hidden.

Dana,

What is the over all appearance of the coach? Does it look as if it has just been detailed to sell or does it look like it has always been cared for. Does it have high or low mileage? Some times a coach has fairly and the inside look brand new, which may mean that the coach was used mainly to travel a great deal but not lived in for very long. If the mileage is very low but the insides look worn and lived in, that is what it was mainly used for.

As Brett said, check the tire pressure. If it is set to the sidewall pressure lower it to the recommended pressure. For example I would drop the pressure to around 90 psi front and maybe 95 psi in the rear then go for another test ride. Did a lot of the rattling go away??

Another thought, is the coach loaded with the owners stuff, dishes, pots and pans and so forth. If not stored properly you will think someone put several cans of marbles in the coach.

My commit to you would be, that if the coach checks out mechanically, it drives straight, the price is right and you two like it go for it. If not back away and look for one that fills all of the above requirements.

Hope it all works out for you'll.

Herman

How many coaches have you driven? You might want to drive a couple of other coaches as a comparison. There are rattles and noise in new coaches unless you are careful in how you load pots and pans it he racks in the oven and microwave can make lots of noise. We use rubber shelf mats in-between pans and dishes where we can.

There are roads in CA that will make any coach rattle try to find a smoother area to test drive.

Bill

Dana,

We have a 2008 DP. We are on a trip and once we hit the New Jersey, New York, and Mass roads there were some extreme bumps and road scratches that made our coach sound like a freight train. The back bedroom has two built in speakers and the perforated cover on one of them rattled off. Sounds like the coach is coming apart, however once on normal stretches of road everything was okay.

As stated, drive a different MH and compare. Something 15 years old is going to have some rough spots in it.

Oops! Never thought to check the date, was just following up to the post on July 21st. I need to be more observant. Shucks!