gbconsta

Insurance For Motorhome - GEICO

Just contacted the phone number provided in the FMCA magazine. I was interested in obtaining a quote for my 2005 Country Coach Magna. I was told the dollar value of the coach was too high for Geico to insure. I was told they were mainly interested in less expensive RV units. I expressed my surprise, since my unit is worth no more than $180K. I have quotes from a number of companies, and the dollar value of my coach was never an issue. I believe the ad run by Geico is misleading. The company needs to be banned from placing advertisements in the FMCA Motor Coaching.

Interesting. I called them saying I was looking at purchasing a 9 year old Prevost valued at $650,000, would they be willing to insure it? Answer was yes. Maybe you got an untrained customer service rep. On edit: Or I got an untrained customer service rep.

BTW, I'm not looking at a 9 year old Prevost. I'm saving for the new one.

I also tried Gieco and was upfront about being involved in and accident," that was not my fault", and it happened in Mya of 2012 and everything was going well. The quote I received over the phone was less than I was paying and almost ready to close the deal when the representative said " Oh by the way if you want to have us as an insurance company, we will insure your RV but because of the accident we have to double your rate." I was shocked because the accident was not my fault. But the rep said "that's the way it is".

Needless to say I didn't go with Gieco. I am now with Nat'l General and very happy with the rate.

The first agent I talked to was going to set up a quote, but at the last minute she said the high dollar underwriters would need to approve it before she could proceed. They were the people that said it was to expensive for them to cover. I have not had a claim or ticket in years. I asked her to ask the underwriter again. She said no, that the decision was final, sorry - good bye!

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

Carl, are you sure about the price? $233,000.00 seems just a tad high for coverage.

Herman 

Yes but remember it is less than the $466,000.00 he was paying. So from that perspective it is a deal.:D:P

Bill

I'm not suppose to laugh yet, it does a job on my stiches!  :lol:  Perhaps he has a Gulf Stream 550, cost for liability sounds about right....No, you don't need comprehensive or collision on a GS 5...at 48,000' it does not matter!:wacko::P

I had been with Liberty Mutual for almost 40-years, both my cars, main and summer homes, both our kids cars and later their spouses cars and homes, etc..  Upon retirement, bought a Tiffin Motorhome and called Liberty for coverage. Was told "no interest in insuring RV's".  I asked if this was their final decision on a 40-year account for an extended family.  My agent of 20-years said she could run it by Regional Management, maybe get an exception, could take "a couple weeks".  I asked if she understood if my new RV could not be covered, I'd move all policies. She understood, hesitated, and then said "my husband and I insure our boat with Progressive. Why don't you try them or GEICO?"  This from the LM Rep.!!  I called GEICO, Progressive, Hartford (AARP) and by the end of the day I had been approved by all 3 companies for all coverage requested.   Per our attorney, while all insurance companies have their problems, the coverage of GEICO was, his opinion, the most complete.  All our property and liability policies have now been moved to GEICO with coverage matching or exceeding (glass coverage was better) that of Liberty Mutual, for premiums about 30% lower.  The only negative was GEICO policies written as 6-mo policy, I prefer 12-mo.  That was 2-years ago.  I have had no claims so I cannot comment on their claim-handling.  Other than modest increases in homeowners premium due to value changes, premiums have been stable.  Coverage updates (new cars) easy to handle if you get past the computer and find a human;  fortunately I have a local GEICO office and can find my original rep with relative ease.

I'm sure LM had their reasons for not wanting to insure a motorhome, but they will never get me back as a customer.  That one decision ruined a loyal customer relationship, got them one ticked-off loudmouth.

Have been with National General  ( Good Sam ) for last 4 years since purchasing our MH.   I check rates each year, and do find other companies who appear to be lower.  On 2 occasions, I have decided to move to another insurer, only to find out that they all seem to  have a " catch " once they feel they have you hooked.  Also have found many companies do not offer full-timer coverages.

We went with Progressive and they have been great on claims.  Hail damage caused damage and the roof to be replaced on the MH for $19k. No questions asked other than what happened and everything was paid.  The prior 5th wheel had the awning shredded by 45 mph cross wind.  Progressive replaced with no questions.  I'm happy with Progressive.  I recently called and touched base with them regarding a big rock kicked up by a passer-by. Just let them know when I'm ready to have it replaced.

Progressive is OK...I only have liability with them now, but when I had full (Dum me) coverage, they did pay and I had no problem with them.  Fuzzy math...comprehensive/ collision for 5 years = $7300+, 1 front windshield in 5 years = $1,800+!  They bet that there is no claim, I agree with them !:):P  The money sits in a nice interest bearing account in my name, not theirs & I don't have to pay for Flo!:lol::wub:  Now, that only works, if you don't have a bank loan, with the coach as collateral.

As you can see by my post it was just the opposite. I sure wouldn't want to save up $26k for repairs in the 7 years I have owned this MH.  I haven't done the math but I don't think I paid that much into their coffers.

I guess that is why they call it "insurance." it's only needed when it is needed and I hope no one every needs it.

By the way: Same for the Extended Service Plan. Mine has paid for itself time and time again. That's the reason the MH has a name: "Citrus."