ldlval

When Touring The Grand Canyon AZ,

We are planning to visit the Grand Canyon the first part of August and would appreciate thoughts about staying in Williams, Page or Flagstaff.

We have a 40 ft Motorhome and need to know of restrictions that might be will be going west from Santa Fe,NM area....

Thanks,

Ann & Larry

We are currently at the Black Bart RV park in Flagstaff. It's a nice location with plenty of room. The roads are getting "tired" but they are asphalt and the park has easy in/out and is seconds off of I-40. Best of all, you can have dinner at the restaurant. Some of the best Prime Rib and all the waiters and waitresses will also be performing show tunes for you throughout the meal. We stay here any chance we get. I am still thinking about the dinner from last night. Awesome, perfectly cooked, Prime Rib. If you really like your horseradish HOT, ask for the plain horseradish (not the sauce) but be warned, it is seriously, hot!

Ann and Larry,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

We did this just last week.

No problems on your route, basically drop down to I 40 and head west.

We stayed in Williams at the http://www.thetrain.com/lodging/rv-park/?gclid=CIzJgeHlob8CFYhefgod4pMAvg

Depending on time of year, you will likely need reservations. Williams or Flagstaff both make good locations for exploring the park with your tow vehicle.

The last time I was at the Grand Canyon I stayed in the campground in the park. No hookups but the convenience of not having to commute 60-80 miles to view the canyon is good. There is a lot to do in the area we usually stay a week or more.

At least last week, all in-park CG's were 100% full. So, be sure to call ahead before driving your RV all the way up there.

I guess I misunderstood. I thought that in addition to exploring Yellowstone he was also looking for places to stay and visit.

Touring Yellowstone from any of those remote locations by toad makes for a very long driving day and you can't do the Canyon in a day. From Williams you could add a train ride to the Canyon and back which I am told is great fun but I would hate to have to drive 87 miles each way to tour the Grand Canyon from Flagstaff!

We are planning to visit the Grand Canyon the first part of August and would appreciate thoughts about staying in Williams, Page or Flagstaff.

We have a 40 ft Motorhome and need to know of restrictions that might be will be going west from Santa Fe,NM area....

Thanks,

Ann & Larry

Williams is the best place to stay if commuting to the Canyon. The RV park at the railroad depot is the nicest. Page is way too far away for visiting the Canyon but it is well worth visiting, stay at the RV park in Wahweap.

We stayed at the Grand Canyon Railway RV Park in Williams. Beautiful park with paved road and parking spots. Yes it is about a 60 mile drive to the south rim but the RV Park and and amenities in Williams make up for it. You can even walk to a grocery store from the park!!

We stayed a 10 days at the Grand Canyon Railway a few months ago. First class place and Williams is neat little town. Grand CanyonRailway is also a Passport America campground.

As Brett said, no problems driving from Santa Fe.

Check reviews on RV Park Reviews of the recommended campgrounds, it may help make your decision.

Ann and Larry, welcome to the forum,

We stayed at the Grand Canyon Railway RV Park last month great park. then was able to move to the Trailer Village in the park. Trailer Village is the only Recreational Vehicle (RV) facility inside of Grand Canyon National Park. Trailer Village offers pull-through paved sites with full hookups for RVs up to 50 feet in length. Trailer Village is conveniently located near the Canyon Village Market Place and Camper Services, and is just a half a mile from the canyon rim.

The free bus service stops in the park and will allow you to see places that are not accessible by car. Did I mention the FREE shuttle service. Definitely call before driving up with your RV. When there visit the EL TOVAR hotel get something cold to drink and sit out on the porch In a rocker and watch the tourist.

Bill

We are planning to spend a week or so driving around the canyon, staying a day or two at a time.

Does any one have experience with that? Also planning on spending a couple days in the Painted Desert. Would love recommendations as we have never been to the area before.

When we visited the Painted Desert, we actually stayed at the Meteor Crater CG. We found it was a good hub for a numerous places to see. Walnut Canyon, Sunset Volcano, the Crater, Winslow, Petrified forest, Painted Desert, Flagstaff, etc.

Ann and Larry,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

We did this just last week.

No problems on your route, basically drop down to I 40 and head west.

We stayed in Williams at the http://www.thetrain.com/lodging/rv-park/?gclid=CIzJgeHlob8CFYhefgod4pMAvg

Depending on time of year, you will likely need reservations. Williams or Flagstaff both make good locations for exploring the park with your tow vehicle.

We stayed here, very easy access on and off I-40. We loved it and Williams is a neat town to walk around. I highly recommend the train trip to the Canyon. Top notch campground.