aztec7fan

What Is The Current FMCA Endorsed Roadside Assistance?

I know that due to a conflict, FMCA severed its association with Coach-Net last year. There was some discussion about utilizing the Allstate. RV Roadhelp service in its place, but then there was a problem with this provider as well.

Does Allstate currently have a relationship with FMCA to provide current members a discount? I looked all over the RV Roadhelp website, but didn't find any mention of FMCA.

Thanks,
Chris G
F3508s

Chris, that is a great F number. I am sure your family is proud that you are carrying on the Family Number. I have Coach-Net and have had for several years. I have heard complaints against Allstate but I have also heard complaints against Good Sam's and Coach-Net. I don't think there is a company that can be all thing to everyone. So my advice is to go with the one you feel the most comfortable with.

Hope someday we see F3508gs.

Herman

I signed up with AAA, their promise was better than most others, have had Good Sam's for years but was dissapointed when I called for a tire replacement, the cost was double what I actually paid. I still haven't used AAA yet, so I don't know how that will work out either.

By the way, AAA does have roadside assistance for motorhomes, but you have to specify it, and it is at an additional cost.

Good morning, Chris, and thanks, Herman, for recognizing Chris' membership number. It is so great to see families passing on their numbers to children and grandchildren.

Chris, do you know that FMCA now has an FMCA Generations chapter, families that have been motorhoming just like you? Contact FMCA's chapter department if you would like more information, or read about it in July's issue of Family Motor Coaching magazine.

To answer your question regarding emergency roadside service, FMCA has actively searched for a roadside service program that meets the needs of the membership. The concierge services that many companies add on to the roadside service adds price to the policy, but little value for the member. Also, limited use (2 or 3 calls a year) and limits on towing make programs less attractive.

I have made contact with a few emergency roadside service providers. To get the best possible program for the membership, I would like to hear from those of you on this Forum. What is important to you in obtaining roadside service? Price? Unlimited calls? Unlimited towing? Tech support? Concierge services (rental cars, movie tickets, hotels, restaurants)?

If you are comfortable with a limit on the number of calls per year and the number of times you may be towed (and number of miles per tow), please let me know. We really want to have a program made just for you.

Please either respond via this forum or, if you prefer, send me an email. I'd love to hear from you.

Jerry Yeatts

Executive Director

jyeatts@fmca.com

Mr. Yeatts, our preferences on road side assistance are: 1) QUALIFIED technicians for motorhomes, 2) tow ability for motorhomes, 3) rapid response is extremely important when on the side of a road broken down, 4) trained telephone responders to understand the needs of a motorhome owner 5) price should reflect quality of service 6) The limit of miles to be towed is ridiculous when you are stranded and need a tow; it should be to get to a QUALIFIED motohome repair service.

Concierge services are not important to us; I never think to look at my road service provider to buy movie tickets.

Thank you for your interest.

Mr. Yeatts, I think Howde summed it up pretty good. The point here is that the people involved be knowledgeable about Motorhomes.

I never could figure out why anyone needed a Concierge service.

To expand on Howde's point 6, those of us still operating under a manufacturer's warranty need to be towed to the closest Manufacturer-authorized repair center, regardless of whether there's a closer RV repair center. Sometimes, that may involve 2 tows.

I agree with the conditions specified in the posts above. Additionally, there should be no charge for changing a tire or minor tire repair. Such as: Valve stem replacement.

Jerry,

I also agree with Howde's points above. I am currently using Good Sam Roadside Assistance. The two times I used them were acceptable. The point I did not like was the service to my vehicle was paid but I had to pay the return mileage which can get expensive.

I recently contacted Coach Net regarding a slow tire leak I was having on my motorhome in storage at my home. Coach Net informed me their roadside service vendor would not repair a "flat" on a steer tire. I drove to a truck tire dealer where they found the valve stem nut was not tight enough. The only way CN would send someone was with a replacement tire and they said there are plenty of my size Michelin tires in stock at Discount Tire and Pep Boys. I don't believe either carry 22.5 inch tires and I'm well aware of the back order situation with Michelin tires.

My point...someone needs to understand RV'ers and our needs.

BTW...the truck tire dealer said they will repair a steer tire one time and no, I'm not calling Coach Net for any tickets.

Herman and Mr.Yeatts, thanks for noticing the f-number. I'm kind of proud to say that I have been an FMCA member, off and on since 1969. I hope at least one of my boys has caught the motorhome bug and will continue with their family, when they have one. They are ages 18 and 13, and they can hold off making me a grandfather for a few more years!

As far as the Generations chapter, I did notice the article in the July issue, and I plan on contacting them.

As far as the roadside assistance issue goes, an out of the box suggestion would be to check tech-Net. (Not related to Coach-net)

http://www.techauto.com/index.php

I don't know if they would be able to meet our needs, but I have used their shop and towing service in the Denver area and it's sufficient. The their shop representative here is a fleet service center that works on cars, trucks, and vans for several large companies in the area. They know how to get small and large vehicles back on the road quickly and with reasonable cost.

Chris g.

I would have to agree that speed is of the essence when you are sitting on the side of the road broke down.

I would like to see a tire that I carry be mounted instead of having to buy one from the tire repair service......I don't know why my tire is not just as good as the one they want to sell me....

The other things that have been noted are good for me and I can be my own Concierge service, Thank you...........

Mike

I agree with everyone above and see no need for concierge service. I had Allstate one time and had a flat tire in my driveway. The fellow came and changed it but I got a story the whole time about how little Allstate pays and how grateful I should be that he even came out. He stopped short of telling me what size tip I should give him. My tip was to "Plant your corn early".

I recently managed to get my diesel pusher MH off the edge of my driveway and stuck into a snowbank. Stupid, I know. I called Good Sam Roadside Assistance. The rep. I talked to couldn't make any decisions on her own - everything had to be checked with her supervisor. I was told I had to clear the snow away and call back when done! I'm 73. I made a token effort and called back. They said they would send a tow truck. Tow truck (huge) arrived promptly and had me out in a jiffy. Great service by the tow company! Dealing with Good Sam Roadside Assistance stinks.

I have Geico RV Insurance with Road Service and Good Sam Road Service. I have never used Geico, but for $20.00 it can't be bad, they will send someone for tire repairs and towing to nearest repair facitity. I have use Good Sam twice, once to repair slide out problem, and another to tow vehicle off the road. Both occaisons Good Sam did a splendid job of taking care of me and reimbursed me for !00% of tow charge.