Sign in to follow this  
ropech

Waynesville, NC to Pigeon Forge, TN via I-40

Question

Leaving next week from Florida (via South Carolina) on a trip to Waynesville, NC in the Maggie Valley (near Cherokee) and then on to Pigeon Forge, TN. Driving a 33 ft. Tiffin gasser pulling a Jeep Wrangler. I am used to driving in Florida and this will be our first trip driving a rig this large in the mountains. I am looking for some advice on the best route from Waynesville to Pigeon Forge. Looking at the map I see two choices.

1) take I-40 out of Waynesville and then turn south onto 411 at exit 432 and take 411 into Sevierville then take a left into Pigeon Forge on 66/441.

2) take I-40 out of Waynesville and stay on I-40 until it turns south at exit 421 and continue south on I-40 to exit 407 and then take 66/441 into Sevierville and then on to Pigeon Forge. Is the first or second choice the best route or can someone recommend a better route?

I would also like to ask what I-40 over the mountain from the NC to TN side is like. Is it a steep climb? Are there any steep downgrades? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!!!

4 answers to this question

It's only 9 miles longer but a much easier drive to take 40 to exit 432 and take 411 into Sevierville and then down to Pigeon Forge. There are some somewhat steep grades on I-40 but nothing you should be concerned about. Find the right gear (go down in the same gear you went up) and take your time. If you see trucker speed limits, use those as your guide to the proper gear and the proper speed. No need to hurry, you will get there but a few minutes later than the guy whizzing by you in the car.

Either route is pretty good, the grades aren't too bad on either, 411 is two lane part of the way, but plenty wide, and some good sites.along the way. Exit 407 is of course 4 lane all the way, with some construction between the interstate and Sevierville. If you decide on exit 407, after crossing the mtn., follow 66 and turn left onto 411, go to Veterans Parkway turn right and follow past Dollywood to 441. This will bypass the 441 traffic through Sevierville into Pigeon Forge, which is murder in a motorhome, with all the stop and go traffic. While there, if you have time, plan a visit to Cataloochee ranger station, which is back in North Carolina just a little ways. The elk are a nice site to see. Hope to run into you there, I'll be arriving July 6 for a week stay.

Seems like good advice on routes. Wanted to add a nice campground out of Waynesville, Creekside RV park. In my opinion, nicest in area.

First off, I totally agree with pattexaco that Creekside RV park in Waynesville is probably the nicest in the area. Good location, great people, reasonable price, nice sites, very clean, good WiFi and excellent cable TV selection.

If you are in the Waynesville\Maggie Valley area don't miss the "Wheels Through Time" museum. Possibly the best motorcycle museum you will find.

By following RVerOnTheMove's advice above on gears and speed I found the I-40 drive over the mountain from NC to TN not to be near as bad as I thought it would be. After reading about all the traffic congestion in Sevierville and Pigeon Forge on this and other forums I chose to avoid staying in Pigeon Forge.

I had read about a very nice Good Sam 5-star rated campground located on US 321 about 13 miles east of Gatlinburg called Smoky Bear campground. Smoky Bear is very easy to get to on a lightly traveled country road by taking Exit 440 off of I-40 if you are traveling west from Ashville and following Hwy 321 South for 14 miles. Smoky Bear is a very nice, clean, family oriented campground with a pool and hot tub. They have several back in gravel sites for smaller campers and also concrete pad pull-thrus for larger rigs. We spent a week camped here and had a great time. Although it is about 13 miles into Gatlinburg, there is very limited traffic on US 321 and it is a straight shot into Gatlinburg and you don't have to deal with the bumper to bumper traffic in Pigeon Forge.

If you want to get to Smoky Mountain National Park you just have to navigate the relatively short distance through Gatlinburg and you are in the park. If you want to get to Pigeon Forge you can use what is called the Dudley Creek Bypass and avoid Gatlinburg altogether. The Dudley Creek Bypass is not well marked but you can take a right at light number 2A on US 321 and it will put you out onto US 441 at light number 1 and there you can take a right and drive on up to Pigeon Forge.

The Dixie Stampede was great and don't miss eating at "The Applebarn". They have great food and there is a whole complex of different shops to visit and explore.

Enjoy!!