pixtony2008

Towing Lexus RX 350 With Acme Tow Dolly

Just tried it for the first time. Set key to Aux. steering wheel unlocked. Turned off everything in car.

Quite happy so far.

Any others with experience?

Why are you unlocking the steering wheel? When I towed with a Kar Kaddy SS dolly, I made sure the steering tires were straight and the steering wheel locked so the straps would not loosen. The Kar Kaddy has steering tires, maybe thats the difference. I suggest you stop frequently and check the straps since they will have a tendency to loosen.

Thanks, just doing what is required from dolly manufacturer. Their video shows the steering wheel turning as the suspension reacts to the towing vehicle movements. Going to keep an eye on the straps and using two safety chains!

The wheels are 10 inch, not 10 inch tires. This set up sure got my attention, the fact that surge brakes are standard equipment, most others have electric brakes. Surge seems to be a good way to go, if it wasn't U-Haul wouldn't use it.

Spare tire on board. Front end of car covered with 3M clear film. Rugged rock guard on motor home. LED lights on dolly.... Ready? BTW, towing with a '14 Thor Hurricane 34E.

Excuse me, Kay. What size tires go on a 10" wheel? I guess I should have been more precise in my statement- 205 65 10 load range E tires are not readily available.

Pixtony, I'm glad you're protecting that Lexus, those are nice rides.

Owned a Acme tow dolly, new from the factory, for two seasons. Never had an issue. I actually never left my Nissan Cube on. If I should have, I didn't. This however did place a huge stress on the tow straps if I did any tight turns. The Cube does have push button start and yes I could have left it in Accessory, (probably should have). Compression brakes worked flawlessly until I took off one day without the brake fluid cap and secondary cover on......not a good deal. Dolly and car pulled straight and easy. My only complaint was the was no good place to mount a license plate.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2014 at 3:31 PM, MarkKathy said:

Owned a Acme tow dolly, new from the factory, for two seasons. Never had an issue. I actually never left my Nissan Cube on. If I should have, I didn't. This however did place a huge stress on the tow straps if I did any tight turns. The Cube does have push button start and yes I could have left it in Accessory, (probably should have). Compression brakes worked flawlessly until I took off one day without the brake fluid cap and secondary cover on......not a good deal. Dolly and car pulled straight and easy. My only complaint was the was no good place to mount a license plate.

How did you attach safety  cable or chain to the cube?

Foe me, Acme. I use vinyl covered cable through wheels as strap backup. For a license plate, i pop riveted it to the, center of the rear of the dolly, and bent the plate around the frame, which leaves the numbers and letters visible. Note, my state does not require a plate, but i got one to avoid issues in other states.

When I place my tag on the car dolly, I use electricians friend, heavy duty wire ties, I attach the tag on the left side of the tongue close to the front of the dolly. No one can see the tag if it is mounted at the rear of the dolly with a car on it anyway, and if I am not towing a car, I'm not pulling the tow dolly anyway. But in the event that I shall ever need to tow without a vehicle on it, the wire ties are easily cut and new ones put back on should I ever need to move to the rear of the dolly.

14 hours ago, dp26 said:

Foe me, Acme. I use vinyl covered cable through wheels as strap backup. For a license plate, i pop riveted it to the, center of the rear of the dolly, and bent the plate around the frame, which leaves the numbers and letters visible. Note, my state does not require a plate, but i got one to avoid issues in other states.

What issues? Every state knows who does and who doesn't require plates on a dolly. Texas doesn't require a plate and I have never had a problem in any state. 

Bill

Jim S. Acme uses the Kenda Karrier S-Trail ST145/R12 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range E. 

I had the older bias ply on my Acme, never had a problem.

Bill

You know once you say it on the web it's forever.B) Does this mean I can't bug you about the differences in tow dolly's? :P Hearer I was trying to stay on track and not feel like some kind of castaway.

Bill

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale
a tale of a fateful trip,
that started from this tropic port,
aboard this tiny ship.

The mate was a mighty sailin' man,
the Skipper brave and sure,
five passengers set sail that day,
for a three hour tour,
a three hour tour.

The weather started getting rough,
the tiny ship was tossed.
If not for the courage of the fearless crew
the Minnow would be lost.
The Minnow would be lost.

8 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

What issues? Every state knows who does and who doesn't require plates on a dolly. Texas doesn't require a plate and I have never had a problem in any state. 

Bill

The lawmakers in each state may know, but not all troopers know every law. Probable cause is something many prefer to avoid.

I am trying to figure out how you got a plate for something that doesn't exist. How did you get DMV to issue a plate when there is no paperwork or plate assigned for  a dolly? 

All troopers know that if they run into a situation they have a radio and a phone to get the information they need. Plus they have a dispatcher and a supervisor. 

Bill

3 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Take notes Gents. This post was started over three years ago, almost longer than Gillian's Island was on TV. :o:)

Herman

Wasen't that a show about people who felt like Castaways

3 years old and still going strong.

2 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

So how do you attach cables or chains to a cube? BTW, what is a cube?

It might be for some one who feels like a CASTAWAY also see Nissan Cube. 

Bill