lylefikse

Windshield Replacement

Once again we picked up a rock and have a crack in our windshield. At the Indio FMCA rally I found a glass company that told me they could repair the crack (several others told me it could not be fixed) for $125. I was hoping that if it didn't work that a least it would slow it down before our trip to Alaska. I expected to replace the windshield anyway after that trip. Well the repair didn't work. I didn't even start the motorhome before it started to crack further with just re-leveling the motorhome. The cost of the repair would be credited toward a new windshield if I use the same company.

Now my question. This guy tells me that there are different quality windshields and one he suggests for $200 more, is more resistant to chips. I know nothing about glass. Could this be true? My trust level is a little low with this guy since the crack repair was such a bust.

Lyle,

Sorry you got your windshield cracked twice. We had a bad, non repairable ding in our one piece windshield. Went through one company close to home and finally gave up and called RV Glass Solutions. They are an advertiser in the FMCA Magazine. Sally took my information and called my insurance adjuster. Sally got back to me that day to let me know they were going to ship the windshield to a company close to us, and they would install. The timing was wrong since we were on our way in two days to Perry. Sally said "no problem, we will take it to Perry and install it there". They installed it in Perry without a hitch. I would recommend them any time.

RV Glass Solutions

888-777-6778

RVGlassSolutions.com

Herman

Your insurance company may have an agreement with their preferred glass company. I suggest that you contact them first. If they do not have one, we have used Duncan Systems for 4 windshields. The headquarters is in Elkhart, IN; but they have many install locations across the country. Three of my installs were in the headquarters and 1 in Perry at a rally.

Thanks for your responses. I still would like the question answered, are there different qualities of windshields available? If so how do you pick the right one?

Yes...there are differences in the quality of glass. OEM vs aftermarket. The problem with glass replacement insurance coverage is that unless you have a specific rider on your policy, insurance will only pay for an after market windshield if the vehicle is more than 2-3 years old. OEM windshields are considerably more expensive than aftermarket. There are also differences in installation practices.

When it comes to glass, you will get what you pay for if you're working with a reputable company.

To answer your question on windshield glass quality, give RV Glass Solutions a call and they will be happy to answer. When we got a rock in the Beaver windshield I stopped at Monaco In Colburg, Or. and guess who they have do their windshields? RV Glass Solutions in Eugene arranged everything through my insurance co and in no time we had a new OEM windshield.