For six years I've used a MasterTow with surge brakes. It is a good solid dolly. The surge brakes make for a very simple system that needs very little maintenance. It takes us about two to three more minutes to get road ready than towing four down.

Demco's Kar Kaddy SS is a top-of-the-line car caddy made from galvanized steel, uses surge disk brakes and tracks behind your towing vehicle which reduces the turning radius. Unfortunately, it's also one of the most expensive car dollies on the market. One of its nicest features is that it folds into a much smaller space, so it doesn't take up a lot of garage or campsite space when it's not being used. Unlike car dollies with electric brakes, Demco's Kar Kaddy SS does not require an electric brake controller and should work with virtually any front-wheel-drive car.

We looked at most of the dollies a few years back and finally ordered the King of the hill a DEMCO Kar Kaddy SS. The best price I could find was through PLP Motorhomes in Texas. At the time we lived in Fresno, CA so they shipped it via truck to our then home.

I was surprised as anybody when the huge crate came un-assembled. Once unloaded the crate barely fit into my garage. We put the whole thing together. The instructions were great. We had a few calls to DEMCO customer service, but we got it assembled and have had many tow's with it and no problems at all.

Yes it is the best and most expensive, but in my book you get what you pay for. We are towing a Lexus SUV and it goes right on down the road. :)

Recently, I was camped next to a man from Savannah, Ga. that was using this tow dolly for his car. He was driving a 31' Coachmen Concord Class C towing a Honda Accord on the dolly. I was very impressed with the dolly....the first of that brand I had ever seen.

We have a Master Tow 80HD. We needed the width of 80 inches for one of our cars. We tried some others but they were too narrow. Something to think about. See if your car fits so there is sufficient room between the car and the fender of the dolly or you will have some body damage on some sharp turns. We are happy with our Master Tow. However, I had to change the bias tires for radials as the bias were wearing very unevenly and I have had a brake job after only about 8,000 miles. The pads are thin but this is common among dollys I am told. We have surge brakes.

I have to say that I am impressed with the quality of our dolly. It is very well made.

Don

Akadeadeye what kind of car are you towing?

I would like to tow a Chevy Traverse but it has a 78" tread width and 20" tires

Akadeadeye what kind of car are you towing?

I would like to tow a Chevy Traverse but it has a 78" tread width and 20" tires

We tow a Toyota Sienna (the widest and heaviest of the two), and a Buick Rivera.

Don

We started our RV'ing life style in 2011 towing a PT Cruiser on a car tow dolly before getting tired of messing with getting the vehicle on/off the dolly and storing it when we reached our destinations.

In 2012, we adapted the car to flat tow then traded the PT Cruiser this year for a Jeep Wrangler to simplify our vehicle towing experience even more. We had a Master Tow 80HD as mentioned above equipped with the surge brake option. The dolly seemed to be well made, towed well, and we were able to purchase it locally (Indy area) for less than $1,500.

I did notice a couple of times that the surge brake would activate when we hit a hard bump in the road which was a bit unnerving. Other that, the surge brake seemed to work OK.

Whatever you do, don't buy a Forest River tow dolly. I used it to tow a Honda Civic and after 4,000 miles the tires were wore so badly on the inside of the tread that they needed to be replaced. The manufacturer looked at it and said the axle supplier failed to tighten the hubs to the axles. After another 4,000 miles the inside side of the tire tread were wore out. I did a simple measurement of the center of the tire tread at the rear side of the dolly, rotated the tires 1/2 turn and measured the tires to the same marks on the tread and found the measurement to be over 1/4 of an inch longer. In other words, the tires were both trying to turn the dolly to opposite sides of the road. I also had to replace the dolly tail lights when driving in the raid blew them out of the plastic fenders and they were tore off hitting the road. When I complained the second time to Forrest River, they told me I must have used the dolly to tow a very heavy vehicle (Civic?) or hit a rut and damaged the dolly. Stay away from their products as they don't stand behind them.

We have decided to buy an Acme Tow Dolly, but in reading the owner's manual for our 2014 Honda Accord, I notice that it states the car CANNOT be towed. I find this confusing, as I've seen other late model, and 2014 Accords being towed via tow dolly.

I can't think of a reason not to tow with the dolly. Any wisdom out there to share?

I'm not going to buy another car, this one is too new and we really enjoy it.

Looking for some feedback, please.

You need to verify that the "not towable" applies to dolly towing, not just to 4 wheels down towing. I would start with the service manager of a Honda dealership-- he is likely to be more knowledgeable than the kids auto manufacturers hire to handle "customer contacts".