Sign in to follow this  
cpenn

Irregular Tire Wear

Extreme outside tread on passenger side front tire has half the tread left of the other tires tread on the coach ('04 KSDP 39')...Tires are 4 years old with about 15,000 miles...Would appreciate advice.

Do you mean the tread has worn to half its original depth evenly around the tire or only on the edge(s)?

Evenly is a key word.

How many miles on the coach?

Sounds Like the Camber is off on the passengers side to me. With IFS that can happen really easy but on a straight axle, is something else.

Think of a shopping cart at WalMart. When you see the rear wheel worn on the outside that is the Camber. The cart has been drug to the side so many time it has bent the fork causing the wheel to wear the outside. When you have that bad wobbling front wheel that is the Caster and that will cause shaking and cupping.

Herman

If the outside is cupping which is not unusual if you have Goodyear tires, the tire pressure has been consistently low. I have had Goodyear tires on 3 coaches, and had cupping on all. Starts on right front tire and then left front, but usually occurred about 40,000 to 48,000 miles.

Brett: Spartan with IFS

Jim: Tread is worn evenly on just the last outside tread on the front passenger side tire...52,000 miles...10 years old

Herman: Would a front end alignment solve a camber issue?

I am very limited on the mechanical side so I appreciate the help...Thanks

Charles, Yes alignment can help reduce the wear to the outside of one tire. Contact Spartan and get the Alignment Specifications and take it to a truck alignment shop. If you have Independent Front Suspension then shims can be used to correct the Camber. However if you have a solid front axle then you will need a shop that has the ability to bend the axle. That is a real talent and equipment.

Herman

Herman,

I have IFS...I will contact the shop where the tires were put on...They specialize in semi truck tire installation and repair so they should be able to give me a proper alignment.

Thanks,

Charles

I have a post on my blog with pictures of the wear on front tires with a Camber problem.

Also covered what I did with rotation AFTER I had the alignment set to the proper specs.

I will be at Redmond and have two seminars on tires. Stop in and say "Hi"

I was at the Freightliner Service Center in Gaffney earlier this week and there were several owners having alignments done. The key for a correct Freightliner chassis alignment is the ride height must be within spec.