Sign in to follow this  
MarYJac04

US RT 89 Question

Question

I am planning a trip from AZ to Yellowstone and have the option of going through Las Vegas to I 15 or Rt 89 north from Flagstaff to Page, AZ and Kanab,UT then connecting with RT 20 to I 15.

I am familiar with RT 89 almost to page but beyond that I would like to know road conditions, elevation changes, etc.

There is about a 60 mile difference in routes, 89 being the shorter.

Would like suggestions from anyone familiar with either route.

5 answers to this question

I am very familiar with the route. Once you cross the Colorado river you will take 89A through Jacob Lake and then connect with 389. There are a lot of switch backs and only two lane road. Your best bet is going through Vegas and up I 15.

I have run US89 in a tractor trailer two or three times, over the years. Had no problems. All the way from Flagstaff to I-70. I then exited I-70 onto US50 and ran that over to I-15. I was usually headed to the North West.

We just made the trip from Page, north on 89, then west on rt 20 to I 15. The roads were great. We have a 38' gas RV with toad. We were told 89 north of route 20 was quite hilly that is why we cut over on rt 20.

Thank you for the responses. Our planned route is US 89 through Utah, not 89A in AZ. We just do not like going through Las Vegas and do not care to travel the Interstates unless there is good reason. Once we get to rt 20 we will decide whether to continue north or take 20 to I15.

FYI, 89 is closed between Bitter Springs and Page. You will need to take the new 89T into Page. It starts about 25 miles south of Bitter Springs. Nice road.