Sign in to follow this  
kaypsmith

Price Gouging In Pigeon Forge

Last week, we took our semi - annual trip to Pigeon Forge Tenn.. Close to the cg the curb had been replaced due to new construction and the curb had a very sharp edge.

Due to traffic I could not swing as wide as required and scrubbed that curb. Upon visual inspection of my tires at the cg, that tire did suffer damage from the scrubbing.

Same day, Black Bear RV Repair came through the cg, I stopped him and asked if he could and would change the tire. I carry a spare tire, not mounted, the guy told me that he would change the tire, he could do the change in an hour, and his rate is $120.00 per hour. I then asked if I could expect a $120.00 charge for the swap. Yes was his answer. Three days later, I had not seen or heard from the guy, so I went to the local tire store and found out the price for exchange at their shop to be $40.00. Told my wife this, and she said she would rather wait for repair at the cg. Well next morning Black Bear RV repair showed up and proceeded to do the exchange, no jack, his impact tool was inadequate, I loaned him mine. He removed the wheel and took to his shop to replace the tire, remember I have my own tire. Upon arrival he did put the wheel with my new spare back on the coach. Then came the paperwork, Two hours @120.00 = $240.00 plus $65.00 service charge which was never mentioned before. Total $305.00 because my wife didn't want to break camp.

Moral, beware "BLACK BEAR REPAIR", and don't listen to wife in the future.

Kay

I would have paid the agreed upon price of $120. Anything over that, I would not feel obligated to pay. Had you not asked before hand, that would be your problem. Anything over what was agreed upon would be his problem.

Its common for an additional charge for service at a cg if you are the only job that is being done. If the service truck is already at the location and he doesn't need to leave the cg to do the job then there is usually no extra charge. If you have a 22.5 tire, that is the easiest tire to change with only two special pry bar tools. It takes about 15 minutes to change, I know because I invested in the tools and always change mine whenever I need to.

I have started using RV Service Reviews to checkout service providers before doing business with them. You might want to post a comment about your experience there and possibly save others from also getting ripped off. I did check the website on Black Bear RV Repair and there currently is no listing for them.

I've used RV Service Reviews three times now. Twice is has provided verification of good service and I used those vendors and was very satisfied. On a third occasion, the service facility I enquired about had three average to poor reviews so, using the list of those with excellent reviews, I chose a different service shop and I was extremely happy with their work. I also pay it back by posting a review of each service provider I deal with.

BTW... I am not affiliated with RV Service Reviews in any way - just a happy user.

Thanks for the comments, and yes DD, it is 12 X 22.5, outside right drive tire, with bud style lug nuts. I didn't have a large capacity compressor, and didn't want to crank the bus and disturb the neighbors. Also he was there soliciting business when I first asked for the service. I have spoke with the cg owner, who told me there had been complaints on him but not recently, but he is banning solicitation by this guy, in the future. Just thought all should know, and Haidenger, thank you, I will post on RV Service Reviews.

Another example of someone not coming through on a promise. I still remember when a mans word meant something but that is certainly not true today. As one of my granddaughters would say, "how sad".

Thanks for reminding me Bill, that was a mistake, should have read, "turn hearing aids down while she is making mechanical suggestions". LOL

I have had to move the coach under protest several times but the end result was always...."right thing to do" despite initial objections. Even if the results was not exactly what we had hoped, it still made more sense to do it "the right way".

If it's financial, I usually yield to her good sense. If it's mechanical she usually yields to mine.