Sign in to follow this  
jleamont

Campground, Padre Island Texas

We are planning a trip to Padre Island next year, does anyone have any recomendations for a nice campground? We are in a 40' Diesel with a Jeep in tow. I saw the KOA there has bad reviews for site size/space anyone stayed there or somewhere else with a recomendation?

Thank you.

Brett,

We are not sure, and we are open to suggestions, since we will have our jeep with us a drive to a destination from the campground would not be a big deal.

I am thinking of a nice, clean place with a decent view or if inland to avoid the "tight rundown campground" I would not have a problem giving up the view for nice surroundings

Be advised the wind will be strong coming off the gulf so the closer to the water, the more to deal with.

Certainly true in winter. In summer those breezes will be much appreciated.

I don't believe the campground on North Padre has much in the way of hook ups. Mustang Island State north of Padre has electric and water and maybe a couple of sewer. We stay in state parks and I can not give much info on private cg's. You are limited to 2 weeks in Texas state parks.

The south end of Padre Island (the town is known as South Padre Island,SPI) is a typical ocean-side resort. There is a KOA there and also a county park which many campsites. The park is Isla Blanca Park and it is near the beach. You can walk from the campground to the beach in 5 minutes or less. You can look up information on Isla Blanca Park on RV Park Reviews.

Across the causeway is the mainland and the town of Port Isabel. From there you can go to Brownsville or anywhere else in the southern tip of Texas. It's a great place to be but the interior is running about 100 degrees daily at the present time. I'd stay at the beach, should be perfect - wear sunscreen! Enjoy.

You might want to consider Mustang Island as an alternative to South Padre. Several nice CGs; we think Pioneer Beach is the best. Nice beach, and close to Port Aransas and Aransas Pass. Plenty to do close by.

We had a great stay at Gulf Waters RV Resort on Mustang Island, just south of Port Aransas. Within easy driving distance of Padre Island National Seashore, Corpus Christi, and a short ( free ) ferry ride across to Aransas Pass.

Beautiful, spacious facility with private access to beach.

We stayed at the Colonial del Ray there. Nice park easy in and out-- little tight for big rigs but doable.

Found a real nice park I am looking for the name couldn't find it listed but it is top of the line real nice, planning on going back and staying there.