Sign in to follow this  
dennisr

Brake Lights Out

I have a 1999 Dutch Star, 300 hp cat on a Freightliner xc chassis. The brake lights are out. The hazards, turn signal, tail lights, and 3rd brake light (above the engine hatch) work.

I have talked to Freightliner and have directed me to find the diodes (2) that are under the dash coming out of a 8 pin connector below and between the steering column and the ignition switch and shift selector. There is a red wire coming out of the 8 pin connector that needs to be found for the repair.

I have not yet found the connector as there is a rats nest of wires in that location to make the fix.

Has anyone had this similar problem?

dennisr

Dennisr,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

One that I know of. Yes there are 2 of them and he found them outside in the rats nest of wires in one of the bundles, where the wires exit the coach; Drivers side wires raped with electrical tape.

They very well could be inside.

The connector should be between the steering wheel(close to the column) and the ignition switch(is the SW to the right or left of the wheel)Then the wire they are referring to is routed to the transmission selector location, and bundled with some other wires in many cases.

Find the 8 pin connector, how much wire is between the connector and where the bundle go's through a hole in the firewall? if there is very little length, then the diodes could be outside.

Can you read Electrical Drawings? I have the chassis wiring diagram for your year chassis! Can forward you a copy. I can send you a Privet Message, it will appear in the little envelope in the top right corner. Just to the left of your Monogram( Dennisr) if you like so you can reply directly to me.

Click on the envelope to open the read and reply box.

If you look at this link and at the picture of the diodes I got from Radio Shack. That will give you an idea of there size. Generator issue link> http://community.fmca.com/gallery/album/265-alternator-problems/

The brake light switch(s) are located under the coach and are activated by the air brake valves. The switch's are air activated.

Check them first as they are easier to fine, using a meter / or test light in this case will work to find the hot wire.

Is there 12 volts on one of the terminals on the switches, check the second switch next to the first one. They are kind of round in shape and thread into the air brake valve(s) 2 terminals on each switch.

When you find them, is there voltage present? have a helper depress the brake peddle(you will need air pressure built up) is there voltage on the other terminal when the brake peddle is pressed? on all the contacts?

Finding the diodes is time consuming and also requires a great deal of persistence.

Rich.

Hi Rich,

Thanks for responding. I have not been able to your info out. Can you go over once again how I can talk to your direct?

Are you saying that the diodes are inside the coach under the dash or could they be outside in a large wire loom.

Can you go over again how we can talk direct? Thanks...........Dennis

Dennis,

To communicate with another Forum member, my suggestion is to send him a PM (Private Message) with your phone number. That way it stays private.

To do that, "hover" over the person's name. Click on "Send Message".

Brett

I am having a similar problem, the cruise will not disengage with the brakes as well as the brake lights not working.

I have checked all the fuses, the switches on the brake actuator ( no power to them) and replaced the brake light relay to no avail.

I have not been able to locate the diodes.

A wiring diagram for the XC chassis may be helpful.

Gerry

Gerry,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Could you post the Model year of your coach?

You can contact Freightliner Custom Chassis, and with your Vin number. They generally need the last 6 digits. Ask them to send you a PDF copy of the Chassis wiring diagrams.

Rich.

Sorry for the delay on this topic. The cruise now seems to be working after some cleaning. The motorhome is a 1999 Triple E Empress on a freightliner XCA chassis. I have searched for the diodes which Freightliner has said is the likely problem which are probably about 18 inches from the firewall . Is the diode likely in that tight mass of wires that were tightly taped together or does anyone have any other suggestions as to where else to look.

One of my friends had the same problem. He had a tech at his house search for almost 8 hours before finding a burnt fuse. The fuse was under the dash in a bundle completely taped up. It was a 1999 Beaver Thunder Patriot.

In my youth working in a garage as a mechanic, I made a remark that still stands after 50+ years, "No person should be allowed to design and automobile, and now, a motor home until they have spent 5 Years working on them."

I had no cruise control on my Silverado and found (was told by the Chevy parts man) that I have a bad Brake light switch. Changed it out and wala, I had cruise control.

Herman

The diodes are for the most part in the harness near the steering wheel, located in the wire harness and can be outside or inside.

Now, Freightliner has drawings of the diode location on file for most of there chassis wiring.

Do not know if they would be willing to share the information.

They have a repair kit that is wired into the section where the problem diodes are that bypasses them (for some models) The last time I read about the kit it was between $180 to $200 plus the instillation fee.

With your VIN number, call an see if they could offer a PDF file that would help you pin down the location easier then cutting the open a long section of the harness.

Rich.

NOTE: There are 2 of them wired in parallel, need two to carry the extra current for the trailer or towed lights and they also are there to protect the coach wiring from back feeds from the tow vehicle.

The new coaches come wired with an extra relay / fuse box wired into the hitch lighting circuit to make replacement of a fuse or relay easier.