Sign in to follow this  
dean5150

Flat Towing A 2006 Jeep Liberty

I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty and have never towed it behind my 2000 Fleetwood Storm.

I have been told to have transfer case in neutral and transmission in park, with key on.

However, I want to make sure that I have to or not to pull a fuse.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Almost right, see my signature. The key doesn't have to be on but you need to have a dummy key made to turn the ignition one click to unlock the steering wheel. You won't have to install a charge wire unless the brake system and lights on the toad is used. I used magnetic lights and Roadmaster brake system so I install a charge wire. Been cross country and back with that setup and it followed us like a puppy.

JC the owners manual is fine but short of aftermarket details such as braking and lighting as well as tow bar setup. OP now know the ignition isn't on but one click to unlock the steering wheel. What will run the battery down is acessories that use vehicle power to work such as braking and lighting.

I used a Blue Ox towbar and could not be happier with it. As as stated above the transfer case is in neutral and the transmission is in park for towing. I always put tranny back in drive after putting transfer case in neutral just to be sure transfer is in neutral before placing it back into park. Then when key is in the one click position and turn wheel left and right to make sure it is unlocked. My 07 liberty actually came with the dummy key that allows me to turn the one click to unlock steering. It does not have the chip in it so it wont allow the car to start. For lighting, I drilled out a hole in each taillight in the location already designated on the back of the housing and added a two element bulb and socket. I sealed the socket to the back of the housing with waterproof insulation paint use in exterior electrical work Looks like factor set up except signal lights are not amber. My bakes are M&G air so not need for charge wire.