Sign in to follow this  
ropech

Atlanta, Straight Thru Or Use The 285 Bypass

Question

Will be driving from Chattanooga, TN to Tallahassee, FL via I-75 on a Sunday afternoon in a 34 ft. RV pulling a Jeep.

Is the best way to go straight thru Atlanta on I-75 or to use the western 285 bypass around Atlanta?

Thanks!

16 answers to this question

Take any by-pass option you can find to avoid taking 75 through the middle. Take your time as Atlanta has among the worst drivers and traffic in the Country!

One week ago today, Saturday, I drove straight through Atlanta on I 20 connecting to I 85. It was raining and traffic was moderate. I drove through Cincinnati on I 75 connecting to I 71 yesterday morning around 10 without any issues. I routinely drive I 45 and I 10 straight through Houston rather than taking the outer loops.

Driving a 38ft and towing a 4 door Jeep JKU.

I also time my trips through large metropolitan areas to avoid rush hours.

Personally, I would drive straight through on a Sunday afternoon if you're driving I 75 south to Tallahassee, but I would take the bypass if going I 85 to Tallahassee.

Drive whichever route you feel most comfortable with and travel safe - always.

I grew up around Atlanta and still have to visit family there, so I am required to go there often. I will not go through Atlanta unless it is 0300 on a Sunday morning! I know other RVers who will drive through instead of taking I285 around it just timing it to miss rush hour. Usually I285 on the east side is better than the west side as far as traffic flow. There will still be many heavy trucks and heavy to moderate traffic, but it moves along, unless there's an accident blocking lanes. It has been my experience that the earlier on a weekend, especially Sunday, you attempt any route around ATL, the easier it will be. Sunday afternoon won't be as bad as a weekday, but it will be close. Good luck.

Primarily since the trucks are required to take the bypass I reasoned it might be better to drive straight thru so I tried that on Sunday afternoon at 2:30 pm. Things went relatively smoothly with a few slowdowns until I got to the malfunction junction in downtown. There it became a parking lot with cars madly scrambling this way and that to get into their required lane. Fortunately there were a few kind folks who cut me some slack and let me move over the few lanes I had to so I would be in the proper lanes for I-75 south. I tried it once, but after that experience next time I will be looking for an alternative route around Atlanta or at 0300 on Sunday morning as suggested. Thanks!

We have gone straight through on 75 for the last 5 years of driving to Florida from Michigan. One time we have a 15 min stopped traffic but that is no big deal on a two day 1200 mile trip. Just stay in one of the middle lane and relax, you will get there.

Primarily since the trucks are required to take the bypass I reasoned it might be better to drive straight thru so I tried that on Sunday afternoon at 2:30 pm. Things went relatively smoothly with a few slowdowns until I got to the malfunction junction in downtown. There it became a parking lot with cars madly scrambling this way and that to get into their required lane. Fortunately there were a few kind folks who cut me some slack and let me move over the few lanes I had to so I would be in the proper lanes for I-75 south. I tried it once, but after that experience next time I will be looking for an alternative route around Atlanta or at 0300 on Sunday morning as suggested. Thanks!

Please don't take this personally but I always get a kick out of folks who ask for advice, ignore it and then do the opposite. I do have to say that it takes a lot to come back and say you were wrong. Since nothing went wrong there was no harm done but maybe you will pay just a bit more attention to the advice of others in the future (or not)! :P

On our way north, we have always taken the west side by-pass. Last Sunday afternoon, coming south from the UP of MI, we thought "it's Sunday, let's go thru downtown". Bad choice!! Especially when I was silly enough not to have "open" my Google map on the phone! There were three accidents! When I turned on the phone, the red marks of traffic alert appeared too late for us to take a different route. At that moment, it took us west of downtown and connected to I-85, then South I-75. Wasted almost an hour.

My suggestion? Turn on the smartphone maps app before you ran out of exits!

Jocelynn Wirshing-Power

Gainesville, FL

28' Coachmen/Concord with tow

Remember that you can use the HOV lanes going through Atlanta. That makes exits a lot easier with no need to change lanes. Also, the thru town route is the shortest. Just check to see if any of the professional teams are playing in town first. Best of luck. Anytime after 10:00am and before 2:00PM should be okay, just be patient.

Kathie

31' Tiffin Allegro, towing a Saturn Vue

with pets

Last week was travel North I-75 from Perry back to Ohio. I drove straight thru downtown.

If you travel with co-pilot? Have them check road conditions for delays as you approach the out belt and make your best decision then.

GL on your travels.

I was on the same insane Interstate. going over to I-20W, so I took the loop, not to bad, If I was going too Ashville, NC. then I would just miss downtown. In Texas, I always take the Loop, most are toll now so traffic is a little lighter!

On the subject of traveling through downtown Atlanta,one post indicated they use the hov Lane in their coach pulling a toad.

I have never been clear on if that OK or not. Does anyone know the answer to that assuming you have a passenger along?

I think that it differs between localities. Here in the Houston area gross weight capacity of 1 ton or more is not allowed and towing a trailer (TOAD) is not allowed. When I'm in my MH I'm disqualified on both counts.

Anyone from Atlanta area?

By-passes were created to alleviate traffic through towns, especially if not stopping there. Before by-passes the route through towns was the only route. So big rigs and RV's etc can go through (size wise) but you would be wise to use the by-pass anytime town traffic is usually high--rush hours and in some places it can be like 6am until 10 pm. At 2 in the morning you pretty much fly right through.