DougC

How To Improve E450 Ride

Driving a 2014 Fourwinds 31L.

Would like to improve jittery ride... suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

I appreciate Herman's recommendation. Made me chuckle.

There are many different things that can improve the ride of any chassis. First and foremost is the identification of what needs improvement. Jittery could be anything from simply out of balance tires to a defective component. I recommend that you visit Henderson's web page and read through their descriptions of symptoms, causes, and remedies. After you know what's bugging you about your ride, you can ask for more specific input from others. Personally, I visited Henderson's and was able to work with them. I've completed a few upgrades and have experienced much improvement in my 2008 Kodiak chassis SuperC coach.

I have a 2000 Southwind on a f450 frame. The best money I ever spent was at Henderson's line up!!!

front track bar

new sway bar in front

and another in the rear (total of two)

I wish I would have done these improvements in 2005 when I bought the rig.

The Ford E450 is notorious for bad caster alignment which makes driving any unit a challenge. Had my E450 realigned with the appropriate caster adjustment (look up other Ford E450 forums for the numbers) and a spring-load "steer-straight" modification (about $400 and two hours installation time) on the front wheel hubs.

Now, the unit (a Coach House 232XL ) is a joy to drive on the interstates and no more swaying! Also, driving for hours does not tire me out because the unit wants to go "straight" without any effects from x-wind or being swamped from passing large rigs!

I hope this helps with your problem!

Let us know! :)

Boy I can relate to this, our last coach was an E450 chassis 31'6" of body length, there were times when someone would pass me I had the steering wheel at 5:00 to stay in my lane. I installed Roadmaster sway bars, Bilstein shocks and a HendersonSuper Steer track bar kit model SS450 (keeps the rear axle from swaying back and forth). Expensive but well worth it, no more upside down steering wheels or being pushed whan a tractor trailer would come up along side of us. In fact it handled so well you often forgot what you were driving, which can be dangerous.

Here's what worked for me after purchasing an 09 Sunseeker 2300 in 2012. It was all over the road and extremely dangerous to drive in windy conditions. Thanks to a guy named "Harvard"on another forum I got the caster set at +5 degrees positive. The Sunseeker still retained the non adjustable caster bushings which were replaced with Ingalls 59400 adjustable ones. This made a remarkable difference. Next the shocks were replaced with Bilsteins and the steering stabilizer also replaced with a Bilstein. The following season we installed Helwig sway bars. It's a completely different vehicle now and I really appreciate what I have learned from others on these forums. Oh yeah, did the 5Star Tune 3 seasons ago, just amazing.

jaymagic,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

Thanks for your feedback ! Just wonderful to have this kind of information shared with all the members and guests that drop in on the forum!

Nice to know that it will make RVing and safety better for all!

Rich.

My jayco Greyhawk came with their Jride package which is essentially bigger track/sway bars front and rear, Bilstien shocks, and Hellwig helper springs in the rear.  As was mentioned earlier, many manufacturers get the cut cab E450, build the coach, and never look at the effects it has on the front suspension.  The end effect that we as owners are left to contend with is a vehicle which will change direction when someone stares intently at the side of the vehicle, so imagine what happens when a truck or a crosswind hits you (you nearly change lanes if you are not braced for it).  The issue was widely discussed on the Jayco owner forums and I was able to make Jaycocover the repair under warranty, which cost me $275.  Since that time I have logged 25,000 miles in my rig (half of it was FL to Alaska).

The Jride suspension makes a HUGE difference in the handling of the unit, especially when compared to our old 2008 Winnebago View 24P based on a Sprinter van chassis.  

CarlBrothers, that is interesting that they offer that from the factory. I am very impressed by this. You said it best they just leave the chassis as it came from the factory, which is interesting since most often they will stretch it and overload it.

On 2/25/2015 at 2:54 PM, jleamont said:

Boy I can relate to this, our last coach was an E450 chassis 31'6" of body length, there were times when someone would pass me I had the steering wheel at 5:00 to stay in my lane. I installed Roadmaster sway bars, Bilstein shocks and a HendersonSuper Steer track bar kit model SS450 (keeps the rear axle from swaying back and forth). Expensive but well worth it, no more upside down steering wheels or being pushed whan a tractor trailer would come up along side of us. In fact it handled so well you often forgot what you were driving, which can be dangerous.

...and while I'm late to this party, let me add a second vote to this suggestion. Just did it to my E450 also 31'6" length. Amazing difference in ride and handling. There are many things that contribute to 'good handling' but this set is sort of the basics. I'm too far from Henderson's to visit, but they sent me the kits and did it myself. Just wish I'd done it sooner.......

Had a 2002 26' class C on an E450 chassis.

Put on Bilstein shocks and Rear Hellwig stabilizer bars and had immediate improvement in handling

Still had the banging noise and swaying on really rough roads and when turning into a parking lot. Significantly better handling when being passed by a tractor trailer or encountering a cross wind.

Sold that coach and bought a 27' 2015 Class on an E450 chassis with Liquid Springs. The ride difference is incredible. No handling issues. Rarely feel the effects of a cross wind. no banging noise unless I hit an extreme bump. No swaying when turning. I can raise or lower the rear of coach 6 inches which means no tail dragging when entering a gas station and when I park the coach on a slanted surface, front to back, I can usually level it out. The ride is very smooth, almost like a high end car. Had this coach for almost 3 years and have had no maintenance issues with the Liquid Springs. Only downside of them is that they are expensive. They can be retrofitted to an older coach.