jlsnyder

Hwy 36 from Colorado to Missouri

Question

We are looking at taking the less-traveled Hwy. 36 outside of Denver through to Missouri instead of I-70. Has anyone traveled this route in a motorhome? Wondering about gas stations and RV parks. Not finding a lot of information.

6 answers to this question

How much of an adventurer are you? This looks like a very interesting route. I've never been on it before so I'd go just to see what is there. There are towns with names like Stuttgart (got to be good German food there), Midway (halfway across Kansas I'd guess), McDonald (will Ronald be there?), Bird City (Is that Larry Bird?), Joes (as in Eat at ...), and just before you return to I-70 there is Last Chance. I'm sure they have gas stations, all those combines and tractors use fuel of some kind. My guess is that you might be surprised by the RV Parks or maybe city or county parks with hookups.

I've taken a number of these US Highways across the plains and always found them interesting. I don't worry about campgrounds, we are self contained and can manage with just a parking place somewhere quiet. Once in a while we find a campground, other times we just settle on a parking spot that looks interesting. Along the way there may be historical markers that will give you insight into the early times of pioneers in the area. Exploring these less traveled areas is real fun if you enjoy even the small gems in life.

I just checked the Allstays Camp and RV app on my iphone, There are a number of Loves service stations along that route. There is a Wal-Mart near Hiawatha, KS. Stallbaumer RV Park and Campground in Seneca Kansas has 30/50 amp electric, full hookups, etc. Wal-Mart near Marysville, Washington City Campground in Washington, KS has 20/30 amp electric and water, Rocky Pond City Park in Belleville, KS has a dump, Kandys RV Park and Campground in Belleville has 50A electric, water, internet, more, Sunset Park Campground in Smith Center, KS has pull throughs, electric and water, Phillipsburg City Park Campground has 14 sites with water/electric 20A, Prairie Dog State Park at Norton has Water and Electric 30A, Terrace Gardens RV Park in Oberlin, KS has full hookups 20/30/50A, Atwood Lions Park Campground in Atwood, KS full hookups 20/30/50A. Interestingly, I don't find any listings in Colorado so I guess you'll have to make a run for it when you hit the KS CO border!

I just re-read you post and I'm going backwards, from Missouri to Colorado. Just start reading at the end of the last paragraph and read backwards! Enjoy.

Good morning Tom & Louise. We have missed you back in Texas. Loved your blogs on you trip down under.

Jeff,

Tom has given you a great tour guide from Denver to St. Joseph Missouri. We have gone North and south then East and West in Kansas. You can always find fuel in the mid sized cities (the cost is sometimes higher). Where the Interstates have some hills they have tried to level them out in most cases. On the secondary roads they have kept the roads up with the landscape. If there was a hill before there is a hill now. There are not many passing lanes and very small shoulders. However we have found that the condition of the roads are in good shape. On any given Monday morning when you top a rise you can see all they way to Thursday. You can find a WalMart in quit a few cities along the way.

So go, take the route and you can say, here's that town Tom mentioned or darn that Herman, where's the fuel.

Have fun and enjoy the adventure.

Herman

Any time I get a chance to look at the small roads or US highways that go kind of in the direction where we want to go that is what roads we use........Any time I can avoid Interstates we do, not because we don't like to go where they go we just want to see the USA like it was before the Large roads.............You will find all the services on those roads that you will on the large roads but a lot better feeling for where the good old USA came from...........

Try it you will enjoy it, but it will take you longer than them other roads.........Slow down and enjoy the country..........

In July 2015 we will be going from Artesia NM to Green Bay WI and there will only about 50 miles of interestate in the whole 1600 miles...........just my .02.......

Mike

I have traveled it a few times over the years. Was always in a tractor trailer. The stretch from St. Joseph to I-70 is lightly traveled most of the way. I have even received waves from a few Kansas State Troopers. I don't remember any rv parks, but then I wasn't really looking.

Want to let you all know we took Hwy. 36 out of Denver through to Kansas where we detoured somewhat from our original plan. We enjoyed the drive a lot! There were times when not a vehicle was in sight for miles and that is really nice once in a while. Thanks for all the feedback.