mypopslou

Towing A Jeep Wrangler

Carl, I wanted to run the old one off road, and we were planning on it, there are trails not to far from home up in the mountains. The new one is just to pretty, see below. Need to get another TJ for that.

Jim, we had the M&G on the TJ and loved it, best toad brake system in my opinion. It only took me, 1/2 hour to remove all of it, including the wiring for the breakaway system. I have said it before, if M&G doesn't make a cylinder for it I'm not buying that toad.

2014-jeep-wrangler-polar-edition-frankfurt-2013-1-1.jpg

Joe.  Real nice!  Waste of good $$$ if you can't use it...any SUV would have done the toad job! :o:(:lol:

JimS. Not that I'm aware off.  I almost joined, until I read their minimum requirements...I wasn't planning on going on a Safari, just day runs!  Now, I just call the local 4 wheel clubs in the area I'm in...and join in the fun!  Up in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado, I've been on just about all the trails they got over the last 5 years, getting close to that in Ruidoso.  I have found that local clubs, is great for meeting and getting ideas from new folks in various parts of the Country!  I also utilize the Elks, Masonic and Lions in the area!

My body and age is going to dictate, how much longer I can keep this up! :)

Carl

Joe,

That's a real purdy Wrangler!  I like it.

Here's our new Jeep.  Do we get to wave too? :lol::lol::lol:

Probably doesn't apply to Wranglers but here's how we put the Grand Cherokee into tow mode:

1. Start engine
  2. Place transmission into neutral.
  3. Hold disengage button down with a ballpoint pen for 4 seconds until transfer case disengages (you can hear it) and dash indicates "neutral".
  4. Place gear shift back into park.
  5. Shut off engine and hit the keyless start button twice to place into "off" position.
  6. Steering wheel doesn't lock but always test it.......habit from way back when I forgot to unlock the Ram truck steering wheel one day.

We're on the maiden voyage of dragging the Grand Cherokee now.  About 1,200 miles so far and it's been trouble free towing.  We have a separate light kit with bulbs drilled into the rear taillights....had to do the same with the Ram truck.  Umbilical provides taillights, turn signals and brake lights just like a trailer.  the light kit is from Blue Ox if you want to peruse their website.

Blake

20160908_105054.jpg

looks good Blake! We have always had at least one Jeep in the house and one Mustang, well that ship sailed....for now anyway. DW always had a Wrangler since before I met her so there was no swaying her a different way. I'd bet in the spring she will ask for a small lift on it....I can see it :o

Joe, I almost bought that color but went with the Sahara Sand. I love it because it hardly shows when its dirty, which is often. Don't let Carl intimidate you. He's just jealous because he doesn't have a purty bright color Jeep.

Sorry, Blake. The mall crawling Cherokees don't qualify for a Jeep wave but if you're in Texas we wave at everybody.

Also...only mall crawler Cherokees have push button start and all that other fancy stuff; we Wrangler jeeples still turn a key to start.

Jim, when the TJ got dirty I would clean it, it was a rust free 2003, which around these parts is pretty rare. The previous owner garage kept it and wouldn't drive it in the snow, I tried once in a blizzard, I wouldn't try that again either, so it sat under cover from November to April. Between the 3.73 gears, 4.0L and the manual trans and factory A/C I was as happy as I could be. I'm going to miss that jeep :(

I was going to do a Cummins 4BT diesel conversion to it when the 4.0L died..Thought that would be fun

Jeep.JPG

Jim S.  That's the same color and top on mine! :D I just have a different front end, steel bumper and 9.5 winch.

Joe, you need to buy some paint and touch up your house! :o

Blake, nice looking coach!  Sorry, but I have to agree with Jim S.  I don't even have electric windows! :( There is a 4x4 shop in San Leone that does some awesome work on Jeeps, he's got clients from all over, including Europe...he'll fix your problem real quick! :lol:  Pat did/doing mine & it's a lot cheaper than AEV. :D 

Haha Jim....that's a first for me.  I've never heard the "mall crawler" term before.  Deb has a larger SUV and she calls it a "grocery getter". 

Our son is a huge Jeep nut off roader.  When we were searching for a new vehicle to drag behind the coach he strongly suggested one similar to Joe's.  So, we looked and drove, but just too hard to get in and out.  Especially for some of the older relatives that ride along with us sometimes (87 y/o in-laws).

Thanks for the compliment Carl and Joe! 

Blake