We have a 2011 Pathfinder 40' pusher. Looking to buy a new SUV for use and towing behind.

We like the Forester with the manual trans, and I am looking for help and advice on equipment. All comments welcome.

Yes, all Subarus with manual transmission are towable 4 wheels down.

As an FMCA Member, you can go here and look at what the vehicle manufacturers deemed towable 4 wheels down for the last 10+ years:

http://www.fmca.com/...ome/towing.html

Several companies make tow brackets for the Forester. Here is one: http://roadmasterinc.com/vehicle_guide/tow_bar_brackets.php

Click on the part number for the appropriate year and model and you will see the complete installation instructions.

We bought a 2012 Forester with a manual from an area dealer recently. The sales lady told me that manual transmissions are about to be discontinued in the Forester and several other models. I have not verified her statement, but she has been at the dealer ship for almost 20 years. Guess she knows what she is doing. Ours has been outfitted with a Blue Ox Base Plate and wiring package. I plan on taking it for a trial run behind our Phaeton next week. Weighs around 3400# and Subarus are very reliable cars. This is our sixth one over a period of about 35 years.

Act quickly, and be prepared to settle for late model used if you are in a hurry.

I just got a 2015 Subaru Forester and a Roadmaster baseplate. I'm confused about some things.

Subaru doesn't recommend a battery disconnect as they don't have an approved one, yet I'm supposed to leave the key in acc while towing. How do I keep the battery from going dead?

Also, the owners manual says that the steering won't lock again until the key is removed. So does this mean I can turn the key to acc, unlock the steering, then turn the key back to lock but leave the key in, the steering will remain unlocked and the battery will not run down?

Phil

Phil,
My wife and I just bought a 2015 Forester also. We have the Blue Ox system but the issues are the same. It tows excellent, yes you have to leave a key in the ignition with it turned to ACC, 1st click. Make sure lights and radio are off. Turn off the dash display.

With the valet key in we figured out how to lock the doors and we have no battery problems. But remember only in the ACC position and not the ignition position or you will draw the battery down.

Safe travels.