Sign in to follow this  
lizzy718

Insurance Premium Doubled--Help!

I switched my RV coverage to National General when FMCA recommended them.

In january of this year while traveling in Charleston, I backed into a car and broke their head light along with some minor scratches, etc.

There was hardly any damage to my rv. I called National General, reported the accident and they had the other persons car repaired. Nothing was done to my coach.

So, when I get my policy renewal notice about 6 months later, they have more than doubled my premium and said I had received 5 points on my driving record as a result of this minor infraction.

Wondered if this has happened to any other FMCA members and if so, did you stay with the carrier or find another one?

I am in a state of shock. This is first accident I can remember having in many many years.

thanks

john

John,

Welcome to the Forum.

You can and should find a new carrier. We just switched to Safeco. They saved up close to $600.00 this year. I had nothing but good things to say about GMAC, who just priced themselves out for me, and Kemper. I had a claim and they handled it quite well. However my agent sold their Family business and went to straight commercial. The agent that bought it asked if they could shop around for better coverage. They did, got us with Safeco and saved us close to $600.00. Use an agent and they can shop around for you.

Good luck and watch your mirrors and camera. :o

Herman

Also, FMCA has now a partnership with a group that will look at several different companies for you. The person you talk to on the phone is paid a salary, not on commission. We did and found the quote was less than GMAC/National, but we also called our insurance agent that has our home insurance. His quote for our motor home and two autos was about $500 less than GMAC. A couple of weeks later we got a check for $75 as a reduction in premium for our home insurance. The company is Hastings Mutual. Hastings may not sell in all states, but they do here in Indiana. My recommendation is to check with FMCA and a local independent agent to see which company best fits your needs in your state.