ultraglide

Starting Full Timing Soon And Have A Problem

My wife and I will be starting our full time adventure in 28 days when she finial retires. I am already retired for 3 weeks.

The problem is that we want to bring some of our things, but we are afraid that we might be to long. We could use any suggestions. We have a 2014 Winnebago Journey 42E, 43ft 7 inches overall per the specs. We are able to pull 15000 lbs with a tongue weight of 1500 lbs. We have a Harley Davidson Trike 9ft 6 inches and weights 1150 lbs. A Honda CR - V 15 ft long and weights 3349 lbs. and a 24 ft trailer weights 3500 lbs. I do believe that we will be OK on weight. The car and the trike fit in the trailer with about 1 ft to spare. I would like to get thing shorter if I could.

Any ideas?

Things are a little ambiguous. Many states mention 65 ft. for a triple tow.

But if you look at the chart in this link. Page 2 - the length of the tractor and single trailer is greater then your combined length.

Could one call the coach a tractor ?

Cutting that extra foot off the trailer would still leave you a little long.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CEoQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.txdmv.gov%2Freports-and-data%2Fdoc_download%2F519-length-limits-for-vehicles-and-vehicle-combinations&ei=trfeU8esN8SOyATjy4DIDA&usg=AFQjCNGgm4PmHObde8z-TeZn2B3JLmflVg&sig2=T0e5FNHn5nHLELerEBtEoA

A Shorter tong length would change the turning radius, limiting how tight a turn you could make, so it's a little like being between a rock and a hard place!

The trike is 118in. long, that would make it to long to fit sideways.

Is there a possibility of using a side loading trailer with enough height to, load it and lift the front upwards at an angle that would get you to 102 in. Not the best thought.

So lets try this thought. Could you bump out the front of the trailer so the front wheel would be forward more over the tong, then with the car behind it to lower the down weight on the hitch and still have a good turning radius- with a shorter trailer over all?

Rich.

We have been thinking off many ideas. We have thought about a stacker, shorter car, leaving the motorcycle home with the kids, and even buying a new pick up and putting the bike in the bed. The one option that might work is a stacker . Will have to check on a price.

ultraglide,

Congratulation on yours and you wife's up coming retirements.

I am not trying to be flippant but going full time requires sizing down, really sizing down. You may want to consider keeping the bricks and sticks so you can maintain the items you don't want to get rid of. Full timing is a life changing endeavor. It requires disposing of items that may mean the world to you.

We down sized this last year. We sold our 3,600 sq. ft. home and moved into our 1,600 sq. ft. mobile home on our acreage. We have since built a home and are in the process of moving into it. When we sold the big house we asked the kids what do you want. It turned out not much. So we moved it into our storage building and will now ask one more time what do you want. After that what we aren't using we will sell. There are lots of thing we have acquired over the past 50 years and some we want to keep. We had thought of full timing but wanted to keep some "stuff", so we have a place for it and the MH and we can go when we want and stay home when we don't.

You and the wife will make the correct decision for you two.

Go, have a good time no matter what you decide.

Good luck and happy travels.

Herman

We have sold everything and have given other stuff away. All we have is a small storage unit with the really important stuff. You know the stuff that has real meaning. Some of the stuff is in this motorhome. We have down sized very well, but we do need a car any I won't give up my motorcycle. Unfortunately the car and bike need to come with. We will figure it out, may take some time but it will happen.

Just received the price on a 18 ft Stacker from InTeck . WOW was not expecting that much for a 18 ft. I bought my first house for less than that 40 yrs ago . Still working on what to do . If I don't get it now when I return next year I might have a better idea

I have seen several RV's that successfully put a trike in a P/U bed. Just shop for a P/U that does not have a crew cab.

We have a 40' Travel Supreme with a toad.

Planning on going full time next year and will purchase a Hydralift for the Harley. It brings the bike way up high so there's no need for an extension when towing a car. It reduces the length considerably. Other lifts don't bring the bike up high enough. The Hydralift is a little costly when compared to others but I feel it's worth the saving of length. They have one for Trikes also. Won't help if you want a totally enclosed unit/trailer. Hope this helps.

rkburdick---I have the Hydralift on my Tour, and depending on the toad you are using you might have to get an extension. On my Malibu it was not needed. I just purchased a Canyon and it looks like I will have to buy an extension since it sits higher. Otherwise the Hydralift might hit the hood on low spots.

There are usually some pretty good deals on stackers on Racing Junk.com ..... Sounds like this could solve you problems .... ???

Thank you all! I did not know that Hydralift had a system for a trike! I will check it out, I hate leaving my bike at home. :angry:

ultraglide. You could just get something for the bike and drive the car, as there is both of you. I don't have that ability, since my dog don't drive. :lol:

Carl