dc27526

Over fill Diesel

DCotton,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Is this with two fuel fills (filling in one, spilling out of the other) OR is this a single fill? Coming out the vent (filler) or a remote vent?

The only time it is reasonable for it to happen is if you fill all the way and then the the temperature of the fuel rises-- like any fluid it EXPANDS as it heats.

It happens as I'm filling up at pump using truckers lane. I cant seem to hear when tank is full. It's as if foam

is entering hole at end of gas nozzle instead of liquid.

The fueling pumps in the truck aisles fill very fast. If you're experiencing over flow its most likely caused from the high flow rate of the pump. I usually keep the automatic nozzle set for the slowest (lowest) flow rate and usually know when I'm nearing full so I'll slow it down even more.

Trucks like my bus have a much larger opening for filling than most motorhomes, and foam does tend to accumalate in the fill pipe of the motorhome.

Most truck stops have a fill island for motorhomes that have pumps like standard car pumps,that fill at a much slower rate.

Yup! What they said: Pump s l o w e r at the truck pumps. Also you might try adjusting the position of the nozzle a bit. On our rig that is pretty fussy.

I have yet to have a computer that gives accurate mileage per gallon. The old fashion way still works, miles divided by gallons. I have a 150 gallon tank and stop for fuel around 600 miles, it will take 70 to 80 gallons depending on conditions. Mine is a 100% electric coach, on hot drives I use the generator.

I use the truck lanes and put in 50 on medium fill, then set it at slow, I never walk away from pump! Most will click off when foam appears, don't count on it.

As per Wolfe, it will expand!

Carl

DCotton,

Welcome to the forum. Diesel fuel will foam much more than gas. You can get foam overflow even on car type pumps. You just have to get use to slowing down the flow or stopping and letting the foam die down then trickle in a little more. I have found some truck pumps that you can't slow down the flow they are 100% or nothing. I also had the experience like Brett pointed out. I had filled up just before parking my coach and later smelled diesel a found it dripping out. I decided to run (exercise) the generator to reduce the level in tank and get some use rather than let it drip on the ground.

Bill