berginaperzina

Slideout care

Our manufacturer says there is no need for spraying the seals on the slide out. After almost 6 years in our current rig, the seals are still soft and pliable. The other area that needs attention is the mechanism that moves the slide in and out of the motor home. For us it is a tooth and gear mechanism and I make sure that this is lubricated periodically. It doesn't have to be done each trip but should be inspected every trip to make sure everything is clean and undamaged. I lubricate mine about every three months and if we've been parked for a long term, I lubricate them before bringing in the slides.

Guest Wayne77590

I will lube my slides about every 6 months. I use a product called Dry Lube. It is specially designed for slides and I pick it up at my RV dealer. Why Dry Lube. Because it leaves no residue and still lubricates the track and gears. A trick that can be used to see if a lubricant is suitable is to take a piece of cardboard, spray a spot with your lubricant, and then throw dirt at the spot. Any lubricant that the dirt will slide off of is suitable. Wet lubricants will collect dust, dirt, and grime faster than dry lubricants will.

There are typically two types of seals on slide-outs. There are the inner and outer seals which border the slide. These are the ones that give the slide a good seal when extended or retracted. In the extended position you can just look at the edge of the slide and see the seal, sort of like a "bumper" seal. If retracted, you can look at the inside border and see the same type of seal.

The other seal is commonly called the "wiper seal." Many think it is the seal that keeps the rain and water out, when in fact its sole purpose is to act as a wiper to clear moisture and other light items from the side walls of the slide.

Like Tom said, there is not much need for lubrication of the seals. However, if the wiper seal is sticking, squeaking, etc., just borrow the wife's talcum powder when she is not looking and dust the wiper seal.

Happy trails.

Mike,

Our large slide rides on the rack and pinion gear which is on the lower portion of a 2" x 2" beam so when it is lubricated, I am lubricating the supporting mechanism. This beam rides on a set of rollers. Our smaller bedroom slide rides on rollers. The rollers can be lubricated but there is no need to lubricate the slide itself. If your slide has areas that support it that are not on rollers, then you may have to lubricate those areas.

I think Wayne has the right idea about the lubricant, you want a dry lubricant so you won't have an accumulation of dust and dirt. I use the commercial slide out lube and haven't had any problem with the accumulation of dirt and debris.