Sign in to follow this  
akadeadeye

Moab, UT to Zion NP via Highway 12

Question

Moab, UT to Zion Via Highway 12

On an upcoming trip we will be leaving Moab, UT, and traveling north to I-70 then southwest to Capital Reef, Torrey, then south on Highway 12 and eventually going through Escalante and on to Highway 89.

For those familiar with Highway 12 in Utah is it a "must do"? Or, is it to be avoided? I can tell there are narrow spots with steep drop-offs on both sides in some places with little to no shoulder. We will be in a big rig, towing.

Also, what are some of the "must see" sites along this highway?

Thanks,

Don

3 answers to this question

UT-12 is an amazing road. My wife and I did it on a motorcycle 5 years ago. The scenery is amazing. The road has lots of twists, turns, hills, and mountains. Driving this road is a challenge. UT-12 is navigable in your rig, but you need to be on top of your driving game and don't be in a hurry. Your rig will get a workout.

Drove it in Scion XB before we started motor home travel. The road is good but there are drop offs in a lot of places. My wife does not like the drop offs and she held her breath in some spots. :) :-) Picturesque names like Devils Back bone kind of give you an idea of what to expect. This was a CCC project if memory serves me right.

Don't miss the Kiva restaurant if you can get your rig parked but that may not be possible.

akadeadeye,

I don't know if you have already taken your trip, but this time of year you can run into snow and slippery conditions. I would stay on the interstate routes and take this trip in the summer with your car.