Sign in to follow this  
J79Engine

Tires 235/80R 22.5 Not Available (Back Order 2-3 Months)

I need opinions here.from experience. I currently have 6 Michelins (235/80R 22.5) installed but the 4 rear tires are original and were reported as dry rotted.

I have not been able to replace them, even by calling Michelin North American HQ. They said there is a 2-3 month back order for this size.

I called another local dealer and they said they did not handle Michelin tires but thought Toyo brand was as good but is a more narrow tire (245/75R 22.5)

I asked if they could be mixed on the same axle and they are checking as well they are checking the load factor there is a price difference the Toyo tires are $372 a tire plus $40 a tire to install plus a floating (floats inside the tire) weight cost for each tire. Michelins are more expensive for sure but I'm comfortable with Michelin tire not sure about Toyo tires?

Does anyone have experience with the Toyo tire verse the Michelin tires? I need tire like now so I can go out in October or earlier!

Thanks

Mike S.

I have used Toyo 245/75x22.5 and they are close to the same size as the Michelins. They seem to ride harder I think because the sidewalls are stiffer because they are a truck tire. Delivery trucks use them.

245/75 22.5 is a slightly wider tire, 245 mm vs 235 mm. 80 and 75 indicate the tire height, which is the percentage of height of the width. The actual height should be the same between the two tires. I personally would not interchange the two different sizes on the same axel, especially on the drive axel, mainly because of the wear difference.

245/75 22.5 is a slightly wider tire, 245 mm vs 235 mm. 80 and 75 indicate the tire height, which is the percentage of height of the width. The actual height should be the same between the two tires. I personally would not interchange the two different sizes on the same axel, especially on the drive axel, mainly because of the wear difference.

Thanks, I had an idea that may be the case so if I must go with these rather than the michelins then I will not mix them. Might be better due to the stiffness to keep the Toyo tires on the rear than on the front. I will hang out and try to get the Michelins......FMCA time to use your influence to reduce my wait time for new tires....Hint...Hint....! Thanks also to Desertdeal for your info...

All tires on an axle MUST be the same size and preferably the same age and tread. The affects braking and on the rear axle, also the rear axle.

Thanks Brett.

As much as I like Michelin I think rather then wait for 2-3 months I will go with the less expensive tires since all four will be on the rear drive axle.

I put Toyo on my coach in 2012 just before a round trip from Texas to Alaska. At the time, Michelin would have been about $1000 more so I went with Toyo. I have no regrets.

I checked everywhere in Ohio and on line, got a small bite from SimpleTire.com they claimed there were only four tires nationwide of that size XRV 235 80R 22.5 Michelin at a cost of $447 plus FET of $47.00 plus shipping costs and they did not participate in the FMCA program. I tried to get him to lower the cost since the tires were 2013 year dated but he would not budge. So I am going locally with Toyo Brand tires for the 4 rear tires at a cost of $372.00 per tire size 245 75R 22.5. I did check all my rear tires that are currently installed and they are mixed left side is 245 75R 22.5 Goodyear tires but right side rear is Michelin 235 80R 22.5 tires noteing tires are not to be mixed sizes on the same axle so maybe a good thing Im changing them and the year date on all the rears is 2001 which is real bad. I will get them changed Friday.

Thanks for the help, would have liked to get Michelins but I'm just trying to get safe shoes for the best price before the Summer is over. We plan to go to Tyndall AFB Florida in October ( visiting the flight line area so I may help them out with their F4 Phantom aircraft) so we need good tires and they were way over due to be changed.

The front tires are Michelin 235 80R 22.5 and both were installed in 2011 when I purchased the MH from a dealer so they are good.