I am thinking of getting rid of my current tow vehicle and buying something 4-wheel drive (auto transmission) for ease of use. Are all auto. trans. Jeep products towable or is there another 4WD tow vehicle you recommend?

Most of the older Jeeps you put the transfer case in neutral and the automatic transmission in park. To unlock the steering is one click clockwise with the ignition off. There has been problems with some newer Jeeps as misprogrammed software for transfer case.

Bill,
I think a lot depends on how you use your tow vehicle. We have towed a standard 4 X 4 Wrangler, a Yukon 4 X 4 auto and now tow a Silverado 2 wheel drive auto with a drive shaft disconnect. All fit our needs. From what I have seen you have the expertise to tow any type vehicle.

The Jeep has had its problem lately so I would be careful on them for now. Some people may think I'm foolish but if I had a vehicle with a locking steering wheel I would remove the locking pin so I could lock the vehicle. I know you will make the right choice for you.

I plan on p/m you later about a TV and dish.

Herman

The newer (2008, I believe) Jeep Wrangler/Rubicon models are all towable with the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in first (standard) or park (automatic) and the key in the off/lock position, key removed, doors locked.

The transmission software issue is with the Jeep Cherokee models only.

I've successfully towed my 2006 Jeep Wrangler automatic with the transfer case in neutral, the auto trans in park and the key in the unlocked position for 6000+ miles. I'm currently at 2500+ miles on a trip towing the 2014 Jeep as described above with no problems.

I would suggest joining the Jeep Wrangler forum for more info than you could possibly ever need.

I no longer need my full sized Chevy van with the drive shaft disconnect as I am now suddenly unemployed! Being thinking of moving to TX and doing gate guarding. Think I should get a 4WD if we do.

I met some Texas oil patch gate guarders while I was at Gafney a few weeks ago. They earn enough working during the winter to allow them to travel north during the summer months and pays for their annual maintenance costs also. They loved it. She said they had over 200 vehicles per day through their ranch gate.

I am thinking of getting rid of my current tow vehicle and buying something 4-wheel drive (auto transmission) for ease of use. Are all auto. trans. Jeep products towable or is there another 4WD tow vehicle you recommend?

I bought my first motorhome a year ago and just two months ago bought a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport to tow behind. I was pleasently surprised how easy it is to set up. Highly recomment the Jeep. I really like that fact that Jeeps do not add miles while in tow.

The newer (2008, I believe) Jeep Wrangler/Rubicon models are all towable with the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in first (standard) or park (automatic) and the key in the off/lock position, key removed, doors locked.

The transmission software issue is with the Jeep Cherokee models only.

I've successfully towed my 2006 Jeep Wrangler automatic with the transfer case in neutral, the auto trans in park and the key in the unlocked position for 6000+ miles. I'm currently at 2500+ miles on a trip towing the 2014 Jeep as described above with no problems.

I would suggest joining the Jeep Wrangler forum for more info than you could possibly ever need.

Where do I find the Jeep Wrangler forum?

Bill, we are very pleased with our 07 Jeep Liberty. As stated above, transfer case to neutral, auto tranmission to park and unlock steering. We have a key that came with jeep that is a dummy that allows steering to unlock but will not start ignition. I then use my regular key to lock jeep doors and off we go. Approx 20,000 miles so far with no issues.

I tow a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude 4 wd Drive II 4 wheels down and have had no problems. You need the drive II to be able to shift the transfer case into neutral. It makes a great all around car to drive also. Averaging 21.5 mpg for all types of driving on regular fuel.