Sign in to follow this  
tcolburn

Leak In PowerGear Jack Reservoir

post-27668-0-77566400-1407725608_thumb.j

'04 Fleetwood Revolution 40C with PowerGear Jacks.

Pictured is the top of the fluid reservoir for the jack system. Fluid appears to be leaking from behind the fluid level sensor (the white plastic piece at top center of photo).

Is there an easy way to stop such a leak? It looked to me as though merely tightening the sensor housing would be the thing to do, but I felt little or no resistance when I twisted it so I don't think it was getting any tighter. Moreover, the label just below it shows that the sensor is supposed to be set in a particular direction. I didn't want to mess up any existing settings, so I put it back in the same position and came here to ask for opinions. Oh, and I added some Dexron-III ATF since the level was down a bit due to the leak.

Thanks for your assistance.

--Tim Colburn F428940

Park Forest, IL

Send PG an email, they are quick to respond.

Good advice. I went to the PowerGear website and submitted my question. Then I discovered that there is a whole series of technical documents available on the site -- one of which shows exactly how the sensor is attached to the reservoir. Looks like there's a large rubber grommet which gets compressed when the big plastic nut is turned, while holding the center of the sensor with a 3/8" wrench. So that's what I will try when I get back out to the motor home....

And meanwhile, the tech advisor from the website responded, and was able to give me the part number for the grommet, if I need to replace it!

So, for the moment, mission accomplished! Thanks for your suggestion.

--Tim C.

Back again with an update... I tightened up the nut on the sensor as described above, but it kept leaking. A return trip to the PG website for the sensor part number, and I was able to order it online. The part arrived, complete with grommet and instructions, and I installed it this morning.

Here's where it gets mysterious. When I got the new sensor installed and connected, retracted the front jack (which had been extended per the installation directions), and topped off the hydraulic fluid, a test of the system revealed that the "jacks down" warning was now working in exactly the opposite way it's supposed to! When the jacks were down, the light was off; when they were up, the light went on--and when the coach's parking brake was released the alarm panel went nuts!

After a while I found a workaround that gets me back on the road: disconnected the sensor plug. Now I don't have a "jacks down" warning on the control panel, but the auto level, manual, and retract functions all work as they should.

Anybody ever seen this before? Naturally I'm going to email the PG people. Maybe I ordered the wrong part, or maybe there's some kind of reset procedure I missed... I'll post for the record what I find out.

--Tim C.

Tim,

From your description it sounds like the float switch you installed is turned 180 degrees. This would cause the switch to close when the jack(s) are down and to open when in the up position.

You might try to rotate the switch 1/2 a turn and see if things work properly.

Rich.

Rich, you were right. I had the switch pointing the wrong way. Duh! I was so sure I had it right that I didn't take a careful look at PowerGear's well-written instruction sheet. Lesson learned, and everything works correctly now.

Thanks again.

--Tim C.