lylefikse

Camping World Turns Down Warranty Repair Of Inside Step

We just spent a week at Camping World at Burlington Washington waiting for a step repair (We have an extended warranty bought at another Camping World where our RV was purchased). I called about a month in advance to get an appointment as we were returning from Alaska and would be in Washington. We were allowed to camp free in their lot while we waited for service(big plus). Our problem is that the inside steps on our Class A stuck and will not come up into the platform for travel. The motor runs, and at first it would try to come up on one side and would bind. Now the motor just grinds and no movement. The stairs are stuck.

After taking the attendant to our motorhome and showing him the problem Camping World washed off our exterior steps and lubed them stating the problem was solved, never mind they worked before they did anything, as this was not the problem. After waiting another two days once again they looked at our step, taking it apart (this time the right one). I received a call stating the problem with our step was to big and they did not have the time to fix it so they put it back together. The bill was $79 diagnostic fee and was presented as a favor as they claimed to have over 5 hours into the project. I paid it to get my keys back. They stated now I have a record that a claim was made on the warranty (which is about to run out) so if I take it elsewhere even if time runs out I should be covered. Great extended warranty, they didn't help at all.

Anyone out there have a similar problem with a step. I think I will try to fix it myself. The only reason I went to Camping World is that it is a covered item on my warranty. Never heard of thanks but no thanks we will not fix a warranty item for you!!!

I would document everything and start bumping this up the food chain. I have never heard of getting charged to have them figure out warranty work.

Bill

I have lodged a complaint with Camping World Corp. No answer as yet but I just put it in. I'll give them a chance to respond. When we get it fixed it will need to be somewhere else as we do not live in Washington and have moved on.

Being charged for "diagnostic" work on warranty items is not as uncommon as one would think. We were charges $120 for "diagnostic" work when our TV went after two months of ownership. It was determined that the TV needed to be replaced, which we knew, and as they could not replace it we had to pay in order to get our "home" back. We ended up going to Indiana where again it was diagnosed and determined that the TV needed to be replaced, As we were at the factory, they were able to replace it with a new one, which now works.

While we were there getting work done, I got to talking with another customer who was having problems with his hydraulic jacks, we was charged as well for "diagnostic" work under a warranty item for his jacks which would not retract fully and they could not fix. He also got his jacks fixed, but only after going to Indiana.

I would never pay anything for a diagnosis for something covered by warranty. That is ridiculous and I would refuse right up the food chain to the head shed's desk.

I suggest he sends a mail to Bowling Green, Kentucky. I did last January, problem solved and asst. manager was looking for a job!

The CEO of CW and GS, wants only positive PR.

Carl C.

Got a call back from Camping World almost immediately the next day. They agreed to refund the money I was charged. They offered to repair the steps if I would return. As we are well down the road I thanked them and told them we would not be able to return. I was told I would get a check next month when checks are sent out.

Some people have bad things to say about CW and GS but their upper management seem to come through when it's called for, and usually fairly quickly. I once put a post on the Open Roads forum about an installation cost that had been sent in an ad. Even though I had not purchased the item from CW they stood behind their ad because there was no statement about the item having to be purchased at CW even though that was implied. The National Service Manager contacted me to discuss it and agreed to the installation cost advertised. They were quite responsive to my needs.

I am not sure if they have some franchises or not. Hmmm, good question. I know that they have acquired quite a few smaller dealerships that have had some "growing pains" to build up their service reputations. I also know that some of the management and service techs from Syracuse NY were transferred to the Churchville, NY location when several complaints were lodged about Churchville in the Open Road forum. And this happened within a couple of months.

CW and GS is owned by the same person. No franchise. Both headquartered in same complex, Bowling Green, KY., CW has a western headquarters in Colorado. They are no help at all. CEO and founder is Mr. Marcus Lemonis. He is the one who called me, back in January. Google him and you'll get a very in depth bio.

Carl C.

AMC Tradition 45Y 2010

Galveston, TX.

On the road.

Well it is now November and still no check. Guess out of sight and out of mind for the Camping World in Burlington, Washington. Can't trust them to stand by their word. Beware!!

I have a complete set of keys and my wife carries complete set of keys. I always leave her set of keys for service. That's all I'm saying.

I made a second complaint to CW over the internet. Once again I got a call the next day from the Manager at the Burlington Camping World. He claimed he thought the check had gone out to me. I advised it had not and he said he would have one sent that day. I did recieve a refund check in the mail a week or so later.

Update on the repair. What a hassle. I took the coach to a Thor dealer in Southern California where we are for the winter. My extended warranty company would not approve the part needed for repair ($3500 part) until they sent someone out to inspect the problem. After inspection the part is on order but the warranty company refuses to pay freight to get the part here. That apparently is my expense. Seems strange to me. Sounds like a $100 deductable and freight will be my cost. Anyway the part is on order.

We are from the Ohio/Indiana area and real close to Tom Raper RV which has been in business I believe since the 60's and the largest dealer in the Midwest area. Just found out last weekend at an RV show that Camping World is purchasing Tom Raper RV. Heard they will not have a showroom, but will turn that into the parts/service area. An end of an era for this area. My husband and I would go to the showroom to just look around when there was nothing better to do at the time.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for any of you maybe thinking of coming out to Tom Raper RV. I believe Camping World will take over the end of January.

I purchased my first RV last Aug from CW in Mass. We've had several go-rounds over a variety of service related issues. I found that I needed to stay on top of the repairs preferably in person and not just over the phone. Don't shy away from escalation up to district or corporate level. At this location there is a definite internal communications issue where Sales, Service & Parts operate independently of each other and so there are always details that get overlooked at every step.

I have a 04 Newmar Mountain Air with the Workhorse platform. My plan is to find a certified WH location for my next round of maintenance and repairs.

Good Luck.

Manholt. The Thor Dealer says my whole step assembly inside needs to be replaced. It is a very poor design. When the steps fail in the up position, you have access to repair them. When they fail in the down position they need to be cut out and replaced. I have seen repairs on the internet where people have cut a hole in the steps to gain access for repair. I have a warranty and want them repaired to Thor specs. That is $3500 for a new step assembly.

Lyle, both Carl and I would both like to understand is why the High Price. I recently replaced my complete step assembly, Kwikee single step, for $350.00 plus freight from the PPL in Houston. I did install it myself. This is why we are questioning the $3,500.00. We just think that is exceed ling high.

Maybe you can set us straight, we don't want to upset you.

Herman

Herman,

He is referring to the inside steps which raise (motorized) to form a stepwell cover, if I understand correctly. Saw one on a Tuscany at Camping World in Mesa, Arizona a few days ago. It is a neat looking idea but appears to be more complicated than the standard stepwell cover.

In my coach, it's called an electric stairwell cover.

Press a button on the dash and cover comes out from under the floor and comes up even with the floor at the end of it's travel.

We only use it when we are rolling otherwise it's in the way.

It is the inside step. Don't know why it costs so much. You are at there mercy with this kind of thing. They are the only ones that make a part to fit. Glad I have a warranty. Otherwise I would be trying to fix it myself for less. Maybe not origional but so it works.

Here comes ole stupid again. Are we talking about a Step Cover that slide out from under the floor to give a flat area over the steps for the passenger or about steps that rise, bend or folds up to make a flat (cover) cover over the steps? :unsure::huh:

Herman