Sign in to follow this  
markkathy

Additional Lighting

This might show just how inept I am regarding my lack of basic electrical knowledge but I still am going to ask, if I wanted to add a light underneath our bathroom's medicine cabinet, could I simply buy a small 'hockey puck' style 110 v LED light fixture, or do I need to purchase a 12 volt camping fixture? I planned on tying it into the existing medicine cabinet overhead lights.

You could use a 110 volt fixture but campers are normally 12 volt dc. If you use 110, unless you plug into an inverted outlet, or are running on generator, the light will not be there when not on shore power. Actually if you don't need a lot light, one of the hockey puck style lights that work on 3 AA batteries work very well and do not require any wiring. I have several of these in my coach and use them often. The batteries last 6 to 12 months depending on use.

If the lights above are 110v, go with 110 below but use LED to minimize current draw but looks like with size of you unit, you probably have inverter capacity to spare for some extra lighting . Will probably be more difficult to find and tie into a 12v circuit unless those above med cabinet are 12v.

If the lights on the medicine cabinet are 12V you should be able to find a suitable LED light that operates on 12V. These lights have become common in automotive use.