Sign in to follow this  
GaryGG

Routes Through Colorado

Question

15 answers to this question

Gary,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Just did that route Ogden UT to Denver this week returning from the Redmond FMCA Convention.

I 80/ I25 is the quick way with fewer grades.

U.S. 40 looks to be a lot more scenic. Hopefully there will be some who have driven that route.

Just a little information when traveling through Colorado.

If at all possible stop in Pueblo. Down town around the Convention Center there is a memorial for Medal of Honor recipients. Pueblo is Honored to have five recipients from there.

To me it was aspiring and a privilege just to be able to read their stories.

Herman

You must be looking for scenery and not short travel time. I drove east on US-40 through Steamboat Springs in my first Class A (34 foot gas) not towing a vehicle and then took Colorado 9 south to I 70. Have known truckers that have run US 40 and even though it is marked on the Motor Carrier Road Atlas as a truck route as Far East as Winter Park it could be a real challenge for a gas powered RV towing a dinghy. You did not say that you have a diesel with an exhaust brake. There are several passes to go over the highest being Berthoud Pass at 11,315 feet.

If you just want to get to Denver take I-80 east as Brett suggested, but you can save some miles by heading south on US 287 out of Laramie and joining I-25 at Ft. Collins. Laramie to Ft. Collins is good road and you will have plenty of company on that route.

In that case, go for it. Can I assume that you have experience in the mountains?I am all about Colorado. Although I have lived in PA for 38 years, I have felt since 1977 that I belong there. My wife had a secure job with a pension, so I did not ask her to go west. It would have been selfish of me.

One more thing about many major routes in the west. The wind this time of the year is normally not an issue.

The roads are not snow covered. You can run east with a tail wind and sometimes you can have a head wind. That can be the case in Kansas and Nebraska among others. The winter is a different story. There is an imposing mountain between Rawlins and Laramie that sits all by itself south of I-80 that literally creates it's own weather and that is Elk Mountain.

Knowledgeable truckers always ask about that area in the winter. I remember westbound going by Elk with my Peterbilt in the left lane and the trailer part way into the right lane. Nobody minded because the other westbounders were not in a hurry.

Enjoy your ride to Denver.

Thanks again Obed. Good observation. We are in the early months of fulltime RVing, gaining experience and confidence in mountain driving as we go.

It is a very scenic route and although Berthoud pass is steep and curvy in places, you should have no problems navigating it. Just take it slow on the downgrade using any supplemental breaking system you have (engine brake), and downshift.

My dad drove it almost weekly in his 35' gas Fitzjohn and had almost no problems. He taught skiing at winter park, and stayed up there while he taught. You won't encounter any snow, so don't let this scare you. One time on the way back to Denver, he hit a patch of ice and the motorhome ended up spinning 360 degrees before he could bring it under control.

Chris g.
Westminster, CO
F3508s

We drive routes like US 40 just to see what is there. We drove from Vernal Utah across Colorado to Denver several years ago. There are some real beautiful spots and a lot of flat land in western CO. I'd do it again in a minute, not fast, just different. There is a small town with 30A hookups somewhere on the route, looked like a nice place to stop for the night. We had lunch there and moved on. On the east end, US 40 dumps you out onto I-70 so you do the final leg into Denver on I-70. You'll drive over high passes and down switchbacks, plenty of mountain driving if that is what you want. I-80 is definitely the easy route! We routinely travel I-80 when we are making time across country. I've had snow, rain, never had a serious wind problem on I-80 though I'm sure there are times when it can really slam you. Mountains are always a caution when it comes to weather. If you are looking for adventure, US 40 if what you want is an easy drive, I-80 is your route.

Good Morning All:

A few weeks back I inquired about HWY 160 running west from I-25 to Durango and I was assurred that was a good hwy for travel. So, we've made plans to take that run and will be headed over Wold Creek Pass east of Pagosa on OCT 1st.

The folks in the Pagosa & Durango areas tell me there shouldn't be any issues with "icy" conditions in the pass that time of year. While I know none of us can predict what mother nature might have in store from day to day, I was wondering if anyone out there may have made this run during late September / early October.

I know it's kind of late to be headed to the lower rockies, but we're headed down to Santa Fe & then to Albuquerque for Balloon Fiesta, so I figured if we're traveling all that way from NC, why not see the Pagosa & Durango areas at the same time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Washtech aka Jack

Jack,

Best you can do is check the weather immediately before deciding on the route. This site allows you to check temperatures, weather wind conditions, etc by three hour segments: http://graphical.weather.gov/sectors/centrockies.php

Also, you can check out CDOT cameras here:

http://www.cotrip.org/device.htm

They do have a couple of cameras on the route you will be taking.