pembertonltd8

Going From Southern California to the U P Michigan

Question

We will be leaving in the middle of Sept and going through Denver and Chicago. What are some of the tings to see in Michigan and good campgrounds We will be driving a 27 ft Class A and looking for full hook ups preferably.

Also is there a nicer route from Denver to Omaha than the Interstate.

Any other info would be appreciated.

11 answers to this question

Take warm clothes and be prepared for depressive sights. The weather may not be your friend during late Sept early Oct. The economy has certainly taken its toll on the UP. We stayed in St Ignes about a month ago at the Tiki Rv Park (Passport America). We of course drove across the Mackinac Bridge and visited Mackinac Island. I believe some campgrounds start closing in early October so take that in to consideration also.

Have a safe trip.

You said that the weather may not be the best. Can you tell me sort of what to expect and how depressing is it in the U P. I am mainly interested in the fall foliage and hear that it is very nice. Am I choosing the wrong area. I don't want to go all the way to New England to see the colors and will be in the Chicago area.

I am open to suggestions since I have no time limit and we are both retired.

I haven't been to the UP in several years but there are some wonderful things to see there and in Michigan in general. The weather in September and October is quite changeable and can be very pleasant or quite unpleasant. It likely won't be consistently one or the other, just be prepared to look for indoor activities on those unpleasant days and enjoy the outdoors on the nice days. Here is one website with some information on the weather in Michigan. This site gives record highs and lows and average monthly temperatures. I set this on September but you can select any month of the year on the left side of the page. Here is the National Weather Service Site. You can get long term forecasts on the National Weather Service Site which might help with your planning. Current Weather has probably the easiest to read information.

From Denver where we are now located, if you want to stay off the interstate I would recommend taking US 20 across northern Nebraska. From Denver take I-25 N to Cheyenne (fuel is cheaper in WY and Flying J or other stations just south of the I-25 & I-80 interchange is the best in the area). Continue on north on I-25 to Exit 126, the town of Orin and US 18 which become US 20 east of I-25 at the town of Lusk. This isn't by any means a direct route but is worth the diversion to see the great plains. There is Fort Robinson State Park, near Crawford, Nebraska which has interesting historical and paleontology exhibits. There are some amazing mammoth skeletons there and the scenery between there and I-25 is quite spectacular. On to the east, US 20 travels through farm land and small communities in the northern Great Plains. You might be slowed by harvest equipment at times but you will see American farming at its best in this area. US 20 continues on across Iowa toward Chicago. If you want to get to Omaha, there are several choices to get you there, US 275 at Stafford is a good choice.

Another possibility you might consider is to take NE 2 across Nebraska. Pick up US 85 at Exit 17 just north of Cheyenne and then US 26 takes you into Scottsbluff, NE. The scenery in this area is known as the Nebraska Sandhills. NE 2 doesn't go through Scottsbluff but you can pick it up a few miles to the northeast via NE Hwy 71. NE 2 will take you to Grand Island where you can pick up I-80 for the last few miles into Omaha. West of Grand Island near Kearney, NE on I-80 is the Archway which is a museum of pioneer history and travel history. The archway spans I-80 and has interesting exhibits on transportation used over time to travel to the West. You can take NE 10 from NE 20 at Hazard, NE to get to Kearney.

From Chicago, some southern Michigan stops you might enjoy include the Gerald Ford Presidential Library in Ann Arbor. In Grand Rapids the Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park is a worthy stop. Holland Michigan has a wonderful Tulip Festival in the spring but you won't see that. You could go there to get the Dutch Experience. There are factory tours and the Windmill Island Gardens where you can explore an operating five story authentic Dutch windmill. Further north on the Lake Michigan shore is Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.

Sault Ste Marie is a place that we have always enjoyed. There is a lake cargo ship that can be toured. There are tours of the Soo Locks by boat. There is an observation tower to get an overview of the locks. Across the strait in Canada, you can take a train tour north to Agawa Canyon which is a delight. They stop in the canyon allowing time for a picnic lunch and some hiking to see waterfalls before the return trip. If the leaves are good, this trip could be fantastic. We enjoyed it in mid-summer. If you decide to do this during leaf peeping season it probably would require getting tickets well in advance. I'd check on tickets and if possible wait to purchase until you have a good feel for the weather forecast for the area for the next week. If you are interested in aviation, there is a float plane museum also on the Canadian side of the locks. We stayed at Aune Osborne Campground which was right on the Lake Huron side of the Soo Locks. You could watch the lake freighters going to and coming from the locks.

To the west and north of Sault Ste Marie in the UP is Whitefish Point and the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum near the site where the Edmund Fitzgerald sank. The museum highlights this as well as many other shipwrecks in the area. The lighthouse station is also interesting. We enjoyed Pictured Rocks National Seashore for its scenery. Both these places could be pleasant in good weather or could be quite raw in cold windy weather. We traveled as far west as Marquette before turning south but my sister loves Copper Harbor. The weather forecast at the time may determine if this is a desirable stop or not. You could visit the Shipwreck Museum as a car trip from Sault Ste Marie and Pictured Rocks as a car trip from Marquette. Check the roads for suitability for motor home travel in the UP. We visited both these sites by car.

There are plenty of great things to be seen, enjoy your trip.

You said that the weather may not be the best. Can you tell me sort of what to expect and how depressing is it in the U P. I am mainly interested in the fall foliage and hear that it is very nice. Am I choosing the wrong area. I don't want to go all the way to New England to see the colors and will be in the Chicago area.

I am open to suggestions since I have no time limit and we are both retired.

If you are looking for color you will not be disappointed. If you like fall camping you will not be disappointed. Nights will be chilly but like TButler said, the days can be great. There are long stretches with not a lot around so make sure you have plenty of fuel. Michigan from mid-lower peninsula up is a beautiful area and this will be a good time of year to visit.

Looking for Full Hookup campgrounds in the UP Michigan. If there was one place to park a 41' DP and day trip out of with the toad, where would you do it from? Looking for that campground with a beautiful view of the lake.

Tom, I was sold on the link above until I realized they don't have sewer connections, any others up there like that with Full hook ups?

One other point to think of during your travel time, Sept. to Oct. RV parks closing for the year. Many parks will begin to close after Labor day till spring.

Herman

Just now, hermanmullins said:

One other point to think of during your travel time, Sept. to Oct. RV parks closing for the year. Many parks will begin to close after Labor day till spring.

Herman

Good point, I'm pretty sure the DW is planning for July 4th, or sometime around then.