Sign in to follow this  
brown774

Black & Gray Tank Level Indicators Incorrect

We have a 2007 Monaco Diplomat with interior and wet bay tank level gauges. Both say the same thing but are incorrect, Black is always 2/3 full and gray is 1/3 full even after dumping. Is their a maintenance needed on the sensors or some type of special cleaner or?

It is not unusual for tank sensors to be incorrect. They often have debris on the contacts. There are many suggestions, but the one I use that works for me is to add a cup of PineSol to each tank before I travel. Each tank should be at least 1/3 full. While I travel, the solution cleans the sensor contacts. I don't know of a permanent solution other than installing external sensors.

I gave up on sensors a long time ago. After living full time in the motor home we gained a sense of how long it takes us to fill each tank. I know with confidence that we can go almost 2 weeks on the black water tank and about 3 or 4 days on the grey water tank depending on the number of showers we take. When living on the tanks we never do laundry, well, almost never. Louise knows how the toilet flush sounds when the black tank is getting near full. She also knows how the sink drains perform as the grey water tank is near full. She is my sensor!

I use a half cup of Calgon water softener and half cup of Finish dishwasher detergent in each tank. Make sure there is water in each tank and drive to your destination. If you do this each time you drive the RV the tanks will stay clean and the sensors should read correctly.

The problem is not the sensors being dirty but is due to the tank walls being gunked up and fooling the sensors.

Even the non-contact sensors on the outside of the tank can be fooled if the walls are cruddy enough. SeeLevel even points this out on their web site.

The SeeLevel web site says "If sludge buildup in the tank becomes extreme the gauge will cease to operate (the tank will always read empty), so by monitoring the signal level the tank can be cleaned before the buildup gets excessive".
From HERE

Anything you do to help keep the tank walls clean may help.
Flushing, adding some detergent and water before you drive for a day or so might help.

I have the TrueLevel non-contact system that Winnebago went standard with in 2005 and right now my black tank reads full when empty. The gray tank shows 1/3 full when empty.

Over the eleven years we full timed I tried everything people say will work and nothing worked.
If I pressure wash the inside of the black tank (have done that twice), the level will be measured normally for a few months and then start to lie.

I think the problem is worse for full timers and that may be why some weekend or short term campers find that detergent or some other method works for them.

I just dump it every ten days and don't worry about it anymore.

Clay. As you said, "pressure wash" is the secret. Also, I add some liquid dish soap when traveling. I wash the black tank on average twice a month. 100/60.

Carl C.

General comment:

Have to wonder why the RV industry seems incapable of developing and using a reliable level sensor for holding tanks.

Maybe they are just not interested in building a "quality" product.

Running a hose into my RV every few days to pressure wash the black tank was never pointed out as normal task when the dealer wanted me to buy a new RV.

Maybe if I ever buy a new RV I will simply take the unit back after every camping trip and ask for warranty service.

I use Aqua-Kem in 8 oz bottles and don't have a problem. I dump one bottle in the toilet and rinse the bottle in the bathroom sink. I hold the waste until travel and dump at a rest stop so to shake it all up. The tanks come out cleaner then if I use the built in flush nozzle. If you are at a campsite for longer period time and have to dump there then you have to use the flush nozzle for the final rinse.

Hey folks!

I'm new to the forum, but this is an area I specialize in (I have a mobile company that provides hydrojet cleaning of RV tanks).

Honestly, the only way to get the sensors back working is to attack the debris -- and build-up -- on the them with high pressure water. If you're interested in finding someone near you who can help, message me.

FYI, the Pine-Sol/Calgon solution is a great idea -- after you've got the sensors clean again.