Sign in to follow this  
Mikefpt

Going To Colorado In October

Traveling in October and am concerned with night temps in the high twenties. How do I keep pipes from freezing. Only going to be there five days. Daytime highs average 60+.

Much depends on your coach and where you will be parked at night. If you have power at your site, you should not have a problem because you can run your heating system. To insure, add a 60-100 watt trouble light in your water bay. We have been in Estes Park in October in the national park and did not heat at night. We have also been there on Memorial Day and had 6 inches of snow, still no pipes froze.

Yes, the twenties usually don't cause problems with pipes in the modern basement model motorhomes. Just keep the heat running in the living quarters, and I agree, keep a trouble light in the water compartment on, and you should be fine.

Be careful with the trouble light, make sure that nothing combustible is anywhere near the light. When temperatures get below freezing I always open the cabinet doors on the cabinets below the sink as these usually have an outside wall which can become quite cold. Opening the door allows warm air to circulate around the pipes under the sinks.

If you have a 5th wheel with outside exposed plumbing you may need to reconsider your options as there is no real way to insulate any of that.