emmaisacat

Towing A 2014 Jeep Cherokee

I have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk that I once experienced the death wobble while it was being towed.  I have since got the, so called, fix from Chrysler.  They installed a wiring harness, switch in the console, and added some software  in the Cherokee.  So far I haven't had a problem.  The dealer said that the wiring harness applies power to the electric power steering when the fuse is in and the switch turned on.  

What makes me mad is that Jeep advertised that the Jeep could be flat towed and that there were no switches to change or fuses to pull.  Now I need to install a fuse, operate the ugly switch in the console,  and remove the fuse and turn off the switch every night when parked while towing.  Also, Chrysler suggests a battery maintainer be added so the battery won't run down while towing.   The dealer said that the electric  power steering take quite a bit of power when activated via their fix.  As far as I am concerned Chrysler did false advertising that the Cherokee was ready to tow.   I think everyone who has a 20014/2016 Jeep Cherokee that they tow should get a Class Action suit against Chrysler to have the fix and a battery maintainer added at no cost to the owner and a monetary settlement for the inconvenience this causes the owners.  

4 hours ago, mccart15 said:

I have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk that I once experienced the death wobble while it was being towed.  I have since got the, so called, fix from Chrysler.  They installed a wiring harness, switch in the console, and added some software  in the Cherokee.  So far I haven't had a problem.  The dealer said that the wiring harness applies power to the electric power steering when the fuse is in and the switch turned on.  

What makes me mad is that Jeep advertised that the Jeep could be flat towed and that there were no switches to change or fuses to pull.  Now I need to install a fuse, operate the ugly switch in the console,  and remove the fuse and turn off the switch every night when parked while towing.  Also, Chrysler suggests a battery maintainer be added so the battery won't run down while towing.   The dealer said that the electric  power steering take quite a bit of power when activated via their fix.  As far as I am concerned Chrysler did false advertising that the Cherokee was ready to tow.   I think everyone who has a 20014/2016 Jeep Cherokee that they tow should get a Class Action suit against Chrysler to have the fix and a battery maintainer added at no cost to the owner and a monetary settlement for the inconvenience this causes the owners.  

I'm not nuts about the idea of a class action.  Further, we'd likely have to have a separate action in Canada.   I'd much rather they get off their collective rear-ends and get the fix out and supply a power connection.   But, if this carried on I think I'd sign on to one.  

My own feeling is that I had an agreement with FCA and I gave them money as my part of the bargain and they sure did not deliver and make good on their part of our agreement.   We've been thinking of switching to a small trailer since our 5 year old MH hardly has 10,000 miles on it.   Figured I could two with a Durango.   The run around I got for a trade in value for my 2014 Town & Country Limited with only 22,000 miles on it has been amazing.  Try half the value of a 2013 Toyota Highlander.   I'm now thinking about a Ford Expedition instead.   We will keep the Cherokee but it would no longer have to be towed if we go this route.   I recently asked about the extended warranty on the Cherokee.   Wow, $3600 to go to 6 years and 60,000 miles.    Guess their experience to date has not been too good.   

Just had wiring harness installed in Hollywood, FL. Took all day because "we've never done this before". After checking out the install, it does look complicated, with 25 pages of instructions! Running wiring to the car interior probably took some time. They did provide a complimentary rental car, however, so all was not lost.  Install and part was also complimentary, possibly due to the fact that i had been in contact with FCA for some time. It remains to be seen how well the fix works, but we'll be on the road in two days, so we'll find out soon!

I had the harness installed and it seems easy enough to figure out, put the 10amp fuse in and flip the toggle switch they installed in my large center console and follow the directions in owners manual. On instructions it says they recommend using a battery tender. Can anyone give me an idea where to get the power from??

I just received my FLAT TOW OWNER ADDEMDUM CARD notice from Chrysler, a couple days ago. It's about as clear as mud, I had to get on the Jeep Cherokee forum to find out what the problem is. My dealership, Dave Smith Jeep Chrysler, supposedly the worlds larges Dodge dealership. No on in the dealer's service depart know what I as talking about. They claim they haven't been notified yet. No wonder Chrysler has been in bankruptcy twice and Mercedes dumped them.  I agree 100% with mccart15, I to select the Cherokee because I wouldn't have to go through any monkey motion to tow it. Now that's no longer true. To add insult to injury, I was told my FCA that I'd have to pay for this repair. 

Unhappy Jeep owner!

I am grumpy, too! Received the FCA mailer & have no idea what to do next. Have towed ourCherokee nearly 4000 miles without an issue. Think we will follow "if it works, don't fix it" for now. Plan to visit with our dealer about it, to see what they know, but for now plan to just wait & see. Maybe things will get clarified eventually & Jeep will know exactly what to do, AND cover the cost.