billb1375

Winnebago/Itasca Windshield Replacement

We were just hit with a $1600 window frame rust repair bill on our 2002 Itasca. What amazes me the most, is size of this problem for most Winnebago and Itasca units. According to the RV repair shop that is getting rich from me, the problem has not been fixed. Based on the apparent size of the problem, why hasn't Winnebago stepped up and addressed the problem on their new units and warned current owners on ways to minimize the problem. While we really enjoy our Suncruiser, I wish we had known about this generic problem before we purchased it two years ago. I know I'm just dreaming when I think about a RV salesperson disclosing problems like this to a potential buyer. It would be nice to have a Form/Blog that would list the know maintenance problems associated with manufacturers and models. What other time bombs don't I know about in my Suncruiser? In any case, as much as we enjoy our Itasca, we have owned our last Winnebago product.

I'm on my 4th Winnebago. No windshield problems....yet.

I got a clue about the problem for the forums GoodSam/Irv2 and FMCA.

A good bead of silicon across the top and down both side took care of the problem. I pulled the rubber away from the skin to get a good amount behind the rubber.

As far as I can tell as the rubber get old the water gets in.

2008 Winnebago Destination and it has the rust problem. You are not alone. I was giving an estimate of $4000 to pull the front cap and repair it.

I own a 2008 Newmar Essex and my windshield began to leak. I had the same problem on a Trailblazer SUV. Went out and got a $5 epoxy tube and placed on the rubber seal at the top of the windshield and never leaked again.

My 2008 Winnie from new had terrible rust around the storage bay doors to the point of peeling off in large pieces. Finally my dealer removed all the black paint, coated it with some type of rust proof stuff and repainted. It's been fine since, but it's another well known Winne rust problem. Or how about the glued on body panels Winnie uses, the glue fails and the body panels fall off in the road. My 2008 had two glued joints on the hood that came loose. Do a Google search on Winnebago glue and rust, you'll find plenty of reading. Or the AC duct inside the rear cap coming loose, that was common, but I can't remember the years. Or the roof to sidewall seam leaking causing problems, of course that's always the owners fault, just ask Winnie. Sort of like my TV that failed within warranty, but Winnie said I must drive on a lot of rough roads to ruin a new TV. Ended up having to buy my own at Walmart and it's still working.

I'm sure other brands have problems, but from memory these Winnie problems come to mind.

Howdymi,

I have a 2008 Winnebago Destination. I have had some of those problems.

I hear tell that Wennebago is a good product, but I can assure everyone that I would not ever by another product from them.

I have a 99 Winnebago Chieftain and both windshields cracked. I pulled back the rubber molding and the metal backing is completely rusted and gone! I ordered an entire new metal surround from Winnebago. Just have to install it now. I cannot find a dealer or shop in PA to do the work so I'm gonna do it myself. Was around $650 for the frame.

11 minutes ago, 99Chieftain said:

I have a 99 winne chieftain and both windshields cracked. I pulled back the rubber molding and the metal backing is completely rusted and gone! I ordered an entire new metal surround from Winnebago. Just have to install it now. I cannot find a dealer or shop in pa to do the work so I'm gonna do it myself. Was around $650 for the frame

Welcome to the forum.Take some pictures and keep us updated. I would clean, prime and paint everything before you go back together. I would try to find a good epoxy primer as it will resit rusting better.

Bill

The epoxy primer is good advice, silicone caulk will actually start the oxidation process on raw steel prematurely. Butyl rubber caulk is another alternative.

WILDEBILL308 , after calling many rv dealers and auto body shops,,, no one wanted the job. After pulling the glass which really sucks to do and is hard as **** to get out. The glue used is really strong. I only needed to lower cross section of steel. It's 1 long piece that's basically U shaped and a little over 8 feet long. I brought it inside to warm up, primered and painted it multiple times. I didn't even have to remove the front cap that an rv dealer in north jersey said had to be done. They also said about 50hrs labor time just to remove the front cap. That told me they didn't even want the job. Within 2 hours I had losened the front cap and pulled it out about 3 inches to give me enough room to weld. So after I got all the old welds cut and ground out which also took many hours, I clamped the new steel in place and welded in. I also picked up stainless steel "L" brackets and secured them in place under it for extra support. The problem now is finding a glass shop to get the glass. Allstate found a mobile shop and we r getting the run around on the glass. It's going on 3 weeks and the glass hasn't been ordered. This is a real pain in the ***. I'll try to post pics of the rust and new steel in place