Guest Wayne77590

Surgery

Guest Wayne77590

Well, September 15th (tomorrow) is the knee replacement surgery.

So! Any positive thoughts via the Big Boss would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to try and talk the hospital into allowing my laptop. After all, they would not want me to have withdrawal symptoms.

Thanks in advance.

Wayne,

Good luck with your surgery. Your hard work comes afterward! I hope you get a good therapist to get you back on your feet soon.

We'll be thinking about you.

Tom

Guest Wayne77590

Thank you all.

Tom, she's cute (And young also). I've had her PT me three times in the past. Two ACL's and one Rotators Cuff.

Actually, all the physical therapists that I have had over the past several years have been excellent. If I'm just passing by I stop and say hello, and they chat, when they can, with me.

Wayne, all prayers are listened to and responded to....even for Marines. Mine for you are that you heal quickly, need little medication, and are wise enough to let the PTs do their thing to get you better. This ain't arthroscopic ya know.

Good thoughts are comin' at ya from all over, and when your all better and can once again dance at the Marine Corps Ball, you'll know that the new knee works. Remember, you don't have to be a hero! Follow the docs orders and the PTs suggestions; ride that exercise bike as if you were racing out of Nam. There aren't any HMs there to help you so you got to deal with the civilians.

Happy recovery my friend. Thank your wife for her patience. We're all rooting for you.

Doc Mike

Yoooooouooooh Marine. I sent up word to the Big Boss that you were worth saving and making well in the not to distant future. It had been a while since I had talked to him so I had to introduce myself. After that, all went fine. I spoke to Earlene the morning after your surgery and she said you were doing just fine and you had evolved back to your old crankie, ugly, mean self and she felt that you would be ok as long as someone threw a grenade at you occasionally. I sent her some pix of the cane I am working on for you. It is coming along good and I hope to have it to you in a week or so. I feel like I have captured the real ''you'' in the finiel (the top thingie) I looked at your picture and figured out which one was the dog (the handsome one) and which one was you (the ugly on the left) and formed a personal impression as to what I should carve in the top piece of the cane. I have been working on it about all day because it has been raining up here. I got the ''bird, ball, and clanker'' kinda roughed in and I am gonna put your name, rank and USMC on the front . I still got to put some laquer finish on it and make it pretty for you and then mail it to you. Your wife informed me that you were going to get your other knee done in the not to distant future also. Wont be long and you will set off the alarms at an airport when you go thru.....

take care my Marine friend and get well soon ........

Seajay the sailor man ...

GOD BLESS THIS GREAT NATION

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND BRING THEM HOME SOON

GOD BLESS OUR VETS AND KEEP THEM SAFE

Okay Top; you should be hittin' that drip button a little bit less today, and feeling a little bit more like yourself. That anesthesia can sure mess us up. You might even get out of the bed and get to the head, with a little assist. For what its worth, six weeks seems to be the recuperative time for everything, and I imagine that it will be for you too, if your really honest with yourself and don't try to be a hero.

Thoughts and prayers are coming you way.

Take your good old time mending so you can have lots of years with that new knee.

Doc Mike

Guest Wayne77590

I'm a Marine! No pain, no gain!! AArrruuggghh!

And I am home. Doc, you'll be happy to know that I hit the drip button 4 times in 4 days. The last time was when the PT came in.

The surgery went well, but hey, what do they know and they'll only tell you the good things. They tried to get me up and walking the next day, and I was mentally up to it, but the nerve block was still acting on the nerve. This is a procedure that has been in use for about 15 years. They stuck a needle into a nerve going to the patella up around the groin-hip-thigh area. The anesthesiologist said that it would block about 80 percent of the pain and the general anesthesia would get the rest. I guess it worked because I didn't feel a thing. Heck, while I was on the table and they finished with me the surgeon said I had 130 degree rotation. (What does he know - I was out like a light) Of course, when the PT moved it and I howled at the moon and screeched like a banshee, there was just a little block left. The bones feel great, but the muscle and surface area are the real killers.

I do know that the PT is the really important part. I start it Tuesday. I have the "positive continued motion" machine on loan from my medical provider and today I was on it for 3 hours and got it up to 84 degrees of flex

Mostly, thank you all for the kind words and especially the prayers. They have helped, I'm sure.

I understand the "I'm a Marine" stuff! I also know, sure and certain, that when the docs say six weeks, or longer, they often know whereof they speak. Case in point: a man our age, very busy attorney, workaholic type A personality, (can't sperll Marine), had a stroke three weeks ago. Sent to rehab after 4 days in hospital and started working while in rehab, checked himself out a week before doc wanted him to, and had another stroke this last saturday and surgery yesterday.

Bottom line is, be careful, be patient, and you'll be well. You ain't 30 no more, no matter what you think.

Glad that you feel better, and wish you nothing but wind at your back and calm seas. Semper Fidelis.

Doc Mike