manholt

Pads For Jacks

On 9/13/2014 at 10:49 AM, desertdeals69 said:

I screwed together 2 12"x12" 3/4 ext plywood pieces with sheet rock screws. If I am on soft ground they bend slightly so the next time I use them I turn them over.

Update.  Since I got my new to me coach recently and let my above pads go with my old motorhome, I made another set of pads.  I used 1 1/8 inch sub flooring plywood.  I have 12 inch squares screwed and glued double thickness.  Routed the edges 1/4 inch quarter round and drilled 1/2 hole near a corner for using the awning hook to position them.  The thing I like about jacks over air leveling is that the coach doesn't rock as much and you can change tires with them.

Yep! I echo the plywood ideas... Many years ago  (7 or 8?)  we were in a very unlevel site at The Riverside, went to The Home Depot in Bullhead City and had them cut a 4x8 3/4" exterior grade plywood sheet into 1 ft squares (for free).  Screwed 4 pairs together 2 deep (i wish I had offset them, Brett) -- no glue needed as they don't crack anyway -- as the base set. I keep several individual squares to stack to keep the jack throw as short as I can when in a way off level site.  Each base set has a drawer pull handle to push/pull with the awning stick.   They work under the tires if necessary.  They are still going strong.

8 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

I installed a set of snap pads and have used them on gravel for 1 month and at the Diesel rally this passed week on grass. So far they seem to work great and there is no placing and storage once installed.

We also installed a set of Snap Pads and they have worked great on gravel, grass, concrete and asphalt. It is great to not have to get down on the ground every time to set out pads or blocks to level on, especially when the weather outside is less than perfect.

Carl brings up a good point.  My Damon Astoria has a GVWR of 28,000 lbs and the Lynx blocks work well.  They may not work so well for very heavy motorhomes.  I can not find a max weight rating for the Lynx blocks.  However, I have an older, partial set of Valterra leveling blocks that I used with my travel trailer for 18 months of temporary living while on a project assignment (disposed of several of them after the became fatigued by the sun).  Valterra blocks have a max weight rating of 40,000 lbs.  I'd think Lynx and other brand blocks would have a similar max weight rating.

Valterra leveling blocks info --> https://www.rvupgradestore.com/EZ-LEVELER-JACK-PAD-p/92-0918.htm

1 hour ago, donaldrfiske said:

So I've been using pressure treated 4x4 18 inches long on all for pads works great for me

Welcome to the forum. I was doing that and it works on hard/flat surfaces. The problem is they will split when on grass or dirt or just uneven surface. Look on page one at the post I  made showing the "upgraded" pads. These have worked well and no more split boards.

Bill

We have 12x18 with plywood screwed to them. Where we store it, the Mgr put some eyes on them and we use the rod to awnings to push them in and pull them out. Wish they were larger but the tires get in the way in the rear.

I believe I can make them about four inches longer and juts fit in that rear compartment, that seems made for them.

Some of the RV Parks, in Michigan, the ground is so soft we  have to readjust the  jacks it seems every morning.

Left the Coach at Relatives home there, for a emergency trip back home. Came back  the boards and jacks were eight to ten inches deep.

I've busted a bunch of these wood jack pads from soft soil etc.

The big pads mnc blueford talks about sounds good. I saw some pads on a big truck used on power lines. They were 140.00 each.

Don't remember the size but huge. Looks like the only way to go is the tough and hard plastics and longer than wider.

These  things we made, weigh I suspect 40 lbs or so. That is hard to shove under the coach, and to dig out of the mud.

In Texas hill country just west, of Austin, in an RV Resort, we woke up to jacks put down in the dark , fully extended and on the wood pads buried as deep as the jack rams were long.

Ground looked dry and firm but 3 feet down water was flowing over solid stone. They brought us big pieces, of plywood and seemed like every stray piece, of lumber around, to put under the jacks and dug out our pads. The jacks said suuu thuuuunk as they came up. 

We are ordering from Amazon, 2 set's of Utility Blocks at $95 each.  Linda needs a set for her DP, Jacks only.  I want a set for those times that I can't get level by air alone and need to use my Jacks.  More expensive than wood, but at 14.5 pounds for 4 and will not break at 60,000 pounds, or rot...I feel that it's cheap!  The RV Geeks have been using them for 10 years now, Newmar Tag....no problems! 

On 7/7/2017 at 3:17 PM, manholt said:

I tried them...they don't hold up to 57,000+ pounds real well ! :wacko:

Neither do campground fire rings placed incorrectly :wacko:, ran over one a few years ago with the DP, in 1000 years someone will dig it up and wonder what it is :lol:.

I have Lynx with their chocks that interlock leftover from the old coach, only needed them once for the DP (air leveling only). I have considered pulling them out for more basement space

Tri-Lynx 15-0241 2 Pack Wheel Chock

18 hours ago, manholt said:

We are ordering from Amazon, 2 set's of Utility Blocks at $95 each.  Linda needs a set for her DP, Jacks only.  I want a set for those times that I can't get level by air alone and need to use my Jacks.  More expensive than wood, but at 14.5 pounds for 4 and will not break at 60,000 pounds, or rot...I feel that it's cheap!  The RV Geeks have been using them for 10 years now, Newmar Tag....no problems! 

A link to them please?

At the risk of changing the thread subject, here ya go.

1. Google RV Geeks leveling pads.

2. Click on the appropriate topic.

3. When their page comes up, highlight and copy the website address.

4. Go back to the FMCA thread and paste the address.

5. Now you owe me a cinnamon roll.

Jim, you got it anytime!  I'm at the ranch until the 16th.  Hope your 40 rpm's have improved.

Back to subject.  Utility Blocks is what I had, before my Jacks quite working....now I have all new (higher PSI) Hydraulic lines & will start using them again!  Specially in high wind conditions! :P

Jim, those pads you posted the link on look very sturdy! With a jack spreading the load would be critical in my eyes!

Wayne, go to Amazon, enter, heavy duty RV jack pads in search box, scroll down to Utility Blocks, right click, then scroll down to comments.  Then go back to order and right click ! :P:o:rolleyes:

On 5/6/2018 at 5:44 AM, elkhartjim said:

I posted the link immediately after your first request, Wayne. Scroll up....sheeesh back at you.😜

Aw, you went back and edited it, I know.

Thanks.

I have a local stair manufacturer that has stacks of cut offs in and around his dumpster and is happy when you take it away so he doesn't have to pay for it. It is also great Oak for fire pits! If you can get cut offs of laminated beams nothing is stronger.

2 hours ago, megadiesel said:

I have a local stair manufacturer that has stacks of cut offs in and around his dumpster and is happy when you take it away so he doesn't have to pay for it. It is also great Oak for fire pits! If you can get cut offs of laminated beams nothing is stronger.

Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I don't have your acess so I had to make my pads. Where are you we might drop by and pick up some spares.:P

Bill