Sign in to follow this  
butche60

AMP-L

I just bought an Amp-L Start but haven't installed it yet so I can't officially vouch for it but I understand it to be a good investment for those of us who keep their coach in storage for long periods. But I think you are going to need access to plug the coach in while in storage because it keeps the chassis battery charged by "stealing" power from the house batteries. If you are not plugged in, over time the house batteries will drain.

Mike

I think Mike (ScoutsPal) has hit it on the head. With our coach, when we are plugged in, the house batteries and the starting batteries are on the charger (an inverter/charger) and kept at peak power. I know that all coaches are not that way, if you have a coach that only charges the house batteries when plugged in, then the starting batteries would slowly loose charge and could become ineffective over time.

So this system offers a way to accomplish what we have in our coach. If you are plugged in and your house batteries are being charged, it will pass along some of the power to charge the starting batteries. I guess as an installed device it would eliminate the hassle of having to put a charger on the starting batteries to keep them at peak power.

If your coach isn't plugged in, this system might extend the near peak power of the starting battery but if left too long it would discharge all batteries. We have a switch which allows us to boost the starting batteries from the house batteries. It is useful if the starting batteries are weak. If all batteries were discharged, the battery boost wouldn't work.

I use a simple switch that I added in the dash area. Since both the house and chassis batteries have leads to the dash I just wired a switch and fuse between the two which will charge the chassis batteries simultaneously with the coach batteries. This works from either the inverter/charger or the solar panels to keep all batteries charged.

I installed the Amp-L-Start on my RED last year in place of the Battery Minder that came with the coach. I have been very pleased with it. I keep my coach connected to shore power while at home, so the ALS keeps the chassis batteries charged while the coach is not in use. If I remember correctly, the ALS DOES NOT drain the house batteries if the coach isn't on shore power. Read the documentation referred to earlier in this post. My manual is in the coach right now, or I would quote it in reference to this.

Tim,,,

On edit: I just checked and it states in the above link that the ALS shuts down if no house battery charge is available.

I replaced my Xantrex Echo Charger because it got damp and burned out. I had to move it to a dryer location to prevent that from happening again. The one you got looks more water proof and I wish I seen this before replacing mine as replacing the existing one would had been more simple by leaving in same location. I hope the product works well for you as I wouldn't be without one.

Thanks to all that responded to my question. I beiieve the product may be a good investment. My chassis battery drops in voltage at a slow rate when I leave the switch on. The only problem with turning it off is I cannot move my shades at the front, and while on the voltage, drops below the required voltage to maintain your set points on the shades. Once again thanks to all.