Sign in to follow this  
dbdreamers

Stormy/Windy Procedures

Hi all - We are only about 12 months from our long-awaited RV take off!! Yay!! One of many questions I'll be asking... What procedures do you go through when you hear a strong storm is on the way?

Heavy rain and strong gusty winds, etc. Thanks! BTW: We will be seriously looking this Spring (2015) for a gently-used pusher. Probably 2005-2008ish. (Love those Dutch Stars!) Let us know if you are ready to get off the road.

Dave & Becky

Dave and Becky,

Welcome to the Forum.

When you hear of very bad weather, always be prepared to move to a shelter of some kind. Most RV parks where there is allways a possibility of bad storms will have a shelter.

When you hear about winds and or rain, it is a good practice to pull in all awnings. How ever when you just have winds that aren't too bad and you hear a humming noise it will be your awning straps. To correct this just put a twist, one is enough, in the strap. this will stop the humming.

A good place to look for a nice pre-owned motor home, try this company.

motorhomesoftexas.com Great folks and really nice coaches.

Stay safe,

Herman

It is always a good idea to consider the area where you are parked. With heavy rain comes flooding. If the campground is near a stream, be it river or creek, it could be subject to flash flooding. If you are parked in an area subject to flooding, pay special attention to weather conditions. Watch the sky and listen to weather forecasts carefully. Consider also the conditions before a storm. If the ground is already saturated in the area the danger of flooding is greatly increased. The recent and impending rains and flooding in the SW US are an example. This kind of thing can happen anywhere water flows. Sometimes in urban areas it is difficult to tell where the streams are as they may be hidden behind buildings or landscaping. In severe flooding the extent of flooding may surprise even residents who have lived in an area for a long time. Campgrounds are often on or near low ground because that is flat and easy for construction of utility supplies. In the event of threat of flooding, evacuate. If you have time and can do that by moving the RV, do it. If you don't have time, save your life, get to high ground.

Heavy rain may also make steep hillsides unstable and landslides and rockslides can be a danger. If the campground is at the base of a mountain slope or a large hill, pack up and leave before the storm arrives. This shouldn't be a concern with normal rains but storms like the ones approaching Arizona today should definitely put you on the road for drier conditions. We sat out the remains of Katrina as it passed over Maine in 2005. Even that far away we had a full day of heavy rain. The next day we enjoyed touring the waterfalls in the area. They were all in full flow. Fortunately, our campground was on ground which was high enough to be safe for us.

If high winds are forecast, look around the campground for things like trees which might have large branches that could be blown down. Look for large trees and dead trees that may blow down. Consider also the debris that may be blow around. Are there loose trash containers or equipment near other campers that may be blown around during a storm? Round up all your loose items and ask your neighbors to do the same.

Consider also the fact that you may encounter bad weather on the road. This brings up a whole new set of responses. You may want to find a place to park when winds become strong and controlling the RV becomes difficult. By just timing your travel you may be able to avoid stormy weather. When traveling, watch weather forecasts for the next several days along your route. A slight change in route or just delaying travel for a day or two may help you avoid traveling in bad weather.

Look for overpasses if you are on the road, some will allow you to pull to the side and be off the road. Overpasses save the day particularly in hail storms. tornados and hurricanes.

Having grown up in tornado country and lived in hurricane country, I would never try to take shelter under an overpass.

We seldom travel if the weather is forecast to be nasty, better a day late than sorry...

If you are set up at a campground and the wind is strong enough to rock your MH, it has been recommended by some manufacturers to take in the slides and retract the jacks and they are not made to withstand heavy rocking..

Mostly it's plain common sense. Biggest hazard is to be on the road at the wrong time. I also, stay up on the weather for several days ahead. I was in Utah when they shut down I-84E due to snow, about 5 weeks ago and I-15 was closed at the Nevada and Arizona boarder. I diverted too Hwy. 6 and 191 to I-70 then 191 true Moab to Monticello, Utah. Missed all rain, snow, sleet and wind!

Carl C.

Having grown up in tornado country and lived in hurricane country, I would never try to take shelter under an overpass.

Thanks guys, I did not grow up around tornadoes and mistakenly thought a overpass was a good place to be as I often sought shelter under then for rain storms. Thanks again for the good information.

I guess it all depends what constitutes 'heavy rain and wind'. If you live in the Northwest, 'heavy rain' is one thing, but if you live in San Antonio, it is SOMETHING ELSE. Where we travel most, the Western U.S., we really don't have to worry very much about tornadoes and hurricanes. If we get a 'heavy rain', especially a 'squall', under an overpass would really work fine. Wind is something else. Drove a 14,000 lb 34 ' Class A in 50 mph cross winds on I-70 in eastern Utah. Boy, was that scary. Should have stopped, but safely made it to Moab. Would stop next time.

Have a good time traveling, and keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down.