roblaura

Snapping Sound Problem In 2012 Itasca Meridian

Our 2012 Itasca Meridian 40U makes a snapping sound under two circumstances:

1. When driving the coach, there is an intermittent snapping sound emanating from the exterior wall area near the driver's seat. It is almost always present when I first start driving the coach. It is a 3-4 level on a 10 pt. loudness scale.

2. When parked on hot days - high temp above 80 degrees - we hear a loud single SNAP (level 7-8) around 6pm when the temperature starts to drop. The sound appears to be coming from the front roof area on the driver's side.

I have checked the roof, slide, and driver's seat area, and can find nothing amiss. The coach runs well and all components seem to be operating normally.

Any ideas about this? Our biggest concern is that this is a warning of something preparing to break or malfunction.

Rob & Laura

Ron,

Welcome to the FMCA forum!

My thought regarding the noise you hear, is that its coming from movement where the windshield and chassis seal meet.

Movement is the seal / would cause both item number one, when the coach / house assembly releases stress as the unit twists and the same point would also be a point of stress re-leaf as the result of expansion and contraction caused by temperature changes.

You might even be able to feel the vibration caused, if you place your hand on the area where the glass and wall structure meet. when the temperature drops.

Not all materials expand and contract at the same rate.

Rich.

Hi Rich,

Interesting theory. The driver's side rear-view mirror is located next to the driver's side window. When in motion, there is a lot of vibration due to wind turbulence off the mirror assembly. That window also gets direct sunlight when parked at our camp site.

Any ideas about how to remedy the "problem?"

Rob

Rob,

Because I do not work for the coach company and with all the different materials used. How they are constructed causes pressure points that need to move. If things are to tight something is going to crack under the stress.

You mentioned the mirror vibration and that could be an item of concern. They should be mounted so there is no movement at all and if its is moving, that movement will only increase over time and also allow water intrusion.

Our Coach gowns as it heats up in the sun and also when the sun goes down also!

If you can kind of pin point the location of the noise. A call to the coach builder might put your concern to rest, but it is always good to have some documentation should things go seriously wrong.

The drivers side window frame(all of them are constructed of aluminum)have a small amount of expansion and contraction over a wide temperature range, Where fiberglass has a high degree of expansion and contraction over the same conditions.

Rich.