Sign in to follow this  
jamesvinton

Rear Slide out 2014 Holiday Rambler Ambassador

Hi All,

We purchased a new 2014 Holiday Rambler from General RV in Huntley , IL. Have been satisfied and only one question. whne sliding the rear slide out to the out position, it reaches the limit and a sound like a gear jumping starts. The service manager at General RV told me that is because the rear slide out has only one motor and it makes that noise when it reaches the limit. He said to NOT continue to hold the switch as it would damage the gear mechanism. Seems to me that if it makes that noise to signal the end of travel, at some point the gear will wear out?? Any opinions?

Jim Vinton 2014 Holiday Rambler Ambassador

I would give the manufacturer a call with a complaint. If other slideouts on the same unit do not make the same noise, there probably is a limit switch that is not properly working, or properly adjusted.

I don't believe that a manufacturer would have different devices or limiters on the same unit.

Each of the four slides motor on my coach have a different configuration and each sounds different when reaching the end of travel. I have one rear slide that make that kind of noise but never had a problem with it. Concluding that this coach being 8+ years old and never presented a problem I wouldn't worry about it.

We had a very similar problem on our 2014 Newmar Ventana. Not sure the HR uses the same manufacturer or not, but the technology could be similar, in that ours used an electronic limit device that needed to be adjusted..........this after having to replace the trans-torque converter bushing and shaft on the motor :(

Even after the overhaul of the bushing and shaft, we had the same gear grinding noise, although for us it happened when bringing the slide back in. We were told we were holding the switch down too long but that was ridiculous as you can't anticipate when it comes to full stop, and will always have that half to full second of holding the switch after the movement stops. Plus, none of our other slides (have 4) did that. So, after some pain with the repair facility, Newmar, and then ultimately the mfg of the control unit, they figured out how to readjust the electronic control unit for that slide and now it seems to be OK. We've only had it the coach out once since it was fixed last month so hopefully we won't experience any further issues. We have plenty of other issues we're dealing with....but thats a whole other story.

Hope this helps

Randy