Sign in to follow this  
larry0801

California Coast Highway 1

Question

We're planning a trip down the California coast starting in Half Moon Bay heading towards Hearst Castle in a 35ft Class A with a toad.

How is the road during this stretch of Highway 1?

Any info would be of great help.

Thanks in Advance,

Larry

3 answers to this question

I made the trip starting at Monterey, CA. Many will report you don't want to make the PCH1 trip but I did it in a 40' coach with an extended Chevy van in tow. It's a great trip and one not to be missed. You will be going slow but there are many pull-offs if you start backing up the traffic behind you. Do not let them push you or bother you just be courteous and pull over when it's convenient. The view is somewhat straight down on the passenger side on a few segments but just don't have your spouse look down. You will not regret having taken this route.

Hi Larry,

First of all, welcome to the FMCA forum. You'll find it a great resource in your MH travels.

Let me gently agree and also disagree with Bill's post. He's completely correct that Hwy 1 is drivable and beautiful. However, it's also narrow, has lots of tight turns, and runs right along cliffs dropping hundreds of feet into the ocean in many areas. It will be a very slow go and requires (at least for me) full time concentration. Also, there are almost no places to stop and park to shop or explore, and roadside camping is not allowed if I remember correctly.

Having traveled that coastline several times, our approach is to leave the coach on either the north or south end of the Big Sur coast (Carmel on the north end, or Morro Bay on the south side) and take the toad. That way we can stop at our leisure, explore the smaller parks and scenic sights, and visit the places off the main road.

Either way, you can't go wrong. I'm just lazier than Bill. BTW lunch at Nepenthe in Big Sur is a must, as is sunset at on the hotel deck at Lucia.

Enjoy your trip!

Tim